Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: who issues?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Police carry of 1911

Several agencies in the Denver area allow carry of the 1911 Pistols. Most agencies in the area do not issue firearms to their officers. They provide a list of eligible weapons for the officer to purchase.

Posts liked by others
    Not sure what the Border Patrol uses now, but when I interviewed (passed and was accepted)with them back in the early 80s I was told I could bring my own weapon. The tough part was having to bring 1500 for uniforms. It was explained to me why and I understood. But a six year minimum commitment on the Rio Grande border had me think otherwise.

No Hable Espanol, No trabajo. ???? That part didn't bother me as I should have been able to pick it up in the 26 weeks of training.

MCAS Cherry Point, NC (Wishing I was in Texas)
    Posts liked by others
    There are quite a few in TX. Off the top of my head

McKinney PD
    Denton PD
    Denton County SO
    and Frisco PD

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by DVMCLD
    Not sure what the Border Patrol uses now, but when I interviewed (passed and was accepted)with them back in the early 80s I was told I could bring my own weapon. The tough part was having to bring 1500 for uniforms. It was explained to me why and I understood. But a six year minimum commitment on the Rio Grande border had me think otherwise.
    Back in the early 90's the USBP was using the Glock 17 in 9mm with the BPLE round (+P+), but switched to the Beretta in .40 S&W (DA only). Don't know if they still use that. They are all issued weapons now.

Posts liked by others
    Many Texas Rangers carry their own 1911s in lieu of the Department issued Sig P226. Nothing wrong with the Sig, it just isn't a 1911.

Posts liked by others
    I should know the answer to this about the Border Patrol, but have a brain cramp. I think they are transitioning to HK.

Cochise County SO, Arizona; Colt series 80 Gov't. I usually carry an extra Colt with a number of extra magazines, not that unusual to see a deputy making an arrest out in the middle of no where; so I stop at a distance and observe.

Bob
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    some northern Illinois allows you to carry whatever you want, as long as you qualify. I did a ride along in Waukegan, Illinois and one officer had a Desert Warrior

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by thebolt
    Several agencies in the Denver area allow carry of the 1911 Pistols. Most agencies in the area do not issue firearms to their officers. They provide a list of eligible weapons for the officer to purchase.
    Now that is a policy that makes since!
    Last edited by ThirdWatcher; 19th March 2008 at 15:15.

Posts liked by others
    That was essentially the policy of U.S. Customs for their Special Agents when I left the Border Patrol to join their (Customs") ranks in the early 80's (and you're right it made TOTAL sense). Under Clinton, that policy was gradually eroded until 911. Post 911 ICE was created and now there are no Customs Special Agents. This must be how "The "Untouchables" felt?

When I left for the Border Patrol Academy in 1980, BPA's were still authorized to carry their own 1911's. 17 weeks later, when I graduated, that policy had been modified to restrict Agents to .357 mag revolvers, shortly thereafter restricted to .38 Special Treasury Loads.

Posts liked by others
    I'm a LEO in NE Ohio (Cleveland area). Around me, the only department that I know of that issues 1911's is Mentor P.D. (east of Cleveland) They issue Kimbers.

Cleveland SWAT uses 1911's but I don't know which make.

My department has a policy that allows personally owned weapons for duty use. Mostly, in practice, this applies to back-up guns and long guns. I'm the only one that carries a personally owned duty pistol - a custom Glock 21. I tried to carry my 1911 for awhile, but the Chief shot me down on the reasoning that the other officers would not know how to use it if they had to. Not sure why they would as we all carry at least 37 rounds of duty ammo plus back-up guns, shotguns, and rifles.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast