Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 rear sight adjustment tool

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 rear sight adjustment tool

Where may I purchase a tool to drift adjust the non-adjustable rear sight on a 1911 - for windage only - not elevation. These tools are available for other fixed sighted pistols. They operate by clamping the slide with the tool and turning a jack screw which bears on one side of the sight to drift it either right or left.

Posts liked by others
    Brownells has several different types. I have one (584-045-001DC), but haven't used it much except for the initial installation of new sights.

It is just so much simpler to adjust (tap) the sight with a nylon or wood rod. In fact, if you avoid a vise by having someone hold the slide for you in their hand while you tap, I think you are less likely to scratch anything than when installing or removing a sight mover.

Just my two cents.
    Go ahead and retire: now who's watching your back?
    Last edited by gfavaron; 7th January 2008 at 10:55.

Posts liked by others
    That's the same tool I have. I think using the sight mover creates less chance of marring the slide than trying to whack it with a punch and hammer. The slide is held in place by the clamp on the bottom locking into the internal slide grooves. The sides of the slide never touch the inside of the tool opening. It's also a lot easier with the tool to avoid moving the sight too far.

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 7th January 2008 at 14:01.

Posts liked by others
    I certainly agree with Hawkmoon that the Brownell sight mover is better when installing a new sight and a lot of movement is necessary to get it centered in the dovetail. To do that with a punch would require a lot of "whacks" and sooner or later the odds for a miss hit would catch up with the whacker.

But if all one is doing is moving the impact point an inch or two while at the range, the Brownell tool is overkill. A nylon tipped punch and one or two light taps can do that quite safely.
    Go ahead and retire: now who's watching your back?

Posts liked by others
    I haven't found anything between these sight movers and whacking it with a whatever.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Hammer, brass punch, done.

ranburr