Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Considering An Airsoft, but I have ?s

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Considering An Airsoft, but I have ?s

Being that I'm stuck in the house for winter. I'm considering an airsoft.
    I've tried to read most of the posts in here but I still have a couple of questions.

I noticed that the retailers don't offer a lot of description on the pistols they sell. i.e.; weight, accuracy, triggers weight and whether or not you can adjust the sights.

So here are my questions and intentions.
    1) Will this gun have the accuracy to hit scaled idpa,ipsc targets in the A zone? Let’s consider the idpa qualifier. My garage is 35 feet deep.
    2) My garage does have some heat, but some posts say there are issues with the gun if it’s cold. What does that mean?
    3) Gas, what kind is the best type to get?
    4) If you can use propane where can you get an adapter to fill the gun or mags? What type of propane are we taking about? My mind is thinking of my gas grill tank, is that what we are taking about?
    5) What type of gun do I order (gas type) if I intend on shooting propane. Do I tell that to the retailer?
    6) How often does the gun need to be recharged?
    7) What is the service life of one of these guns?
    8) Do you reuse the bbs or just get new ones.
    9) Should I get spare parts when I order the gun that I know I’ll need down the road.
    10) Are they legal in New York State? I do not live in New York City.

The gun I use now is a Trojan 5” 9mm. which type of airsoft would be the most appropriate to simulate it. I’m aware that the recoil will not be the same.

Thanks in advance for your advise..

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arborpro
    Being that I'm stuck in the house for winter. I'm considering an airsoft.
    I've tried to read most of the posts in here but I still have a couple of questions.

I noticed that the retailers don't offer a lot of description on the pistols they sell. i.e.; weight, accuracy, triggers weight and whether or not you can adjust the sights.

So here are my questions and intentions.
    1) Will this gun have the accuracy to hit scaled idpa,ipsc targets in the A zone? Let’s consider the idpa qualifier. My garage is 35 feet deep.
    If you do your part, these pistols are 2-3" accurate at 10 meters.

2) My garage does have some heat, but some posts say there are issues with the gun if it’s cold. What does that mean?
    Since these guns depend on gas pressure to propel their projectile and to recoil, if the temperature gets low enough, there won't be too much pressure to do either. By that time, you probably won't be in the mood to shoot either.

3) Gas, what kind is the best type to get?
    It's not a matter of "what's best. It's a matter of what your gun requires. Most Japanese pistols work with HFC134A, most others with Green gas (which is propane with some silicone lubricant added).

4) If you can use propane where can you get an adapter to fill the gun or mags? What type of propane are we taking about? My mind is thinking of my gas grill tank, is that what we are taking about?
    Yes, in guns that use Green gas you can safely use propane. Benzomatic propane is what most airsofters use. And yes, you can get an adapter, do a google for airsoft propane adapter, I do not remember the site by heart.

5) What type of gun do I order (gas type) if I intend on shooting propane. Do I tell that to the retailer?
    A gas-blow-back is the answer. If you want a 1911-style there are several to choose from, see below. You do not have to tell the retailer, most of them are not very deep into airsoft to know these details.

6) How often does the gun need to be recharged?
    Usually every 2-3 mags.

7) What is the service life of one of these guns?
    I do not know, so far I haven't destroyed any of them.

8) Do you reuse the bbs or just get new ones.
    BBs should NOT be reused.

9) Should I get spare parts when I order the gun that I know I’ll need down the road.
    My advise, when talking about the real pistols, is to shoot the gun enough to figure out if you need to change something. Do not change something for the sake of changing.

10) Are they legal in New York State? I do not live in New York City.
    I do not know.

The gun I use now is a Trojan 5” 9mm. which type of airsoft would be the most appropriate to simulate it. I’m aware that the recoil will not be the same.
    The Trojan is a single-column 1911, so any 1911 airsoft replica should be OK with you. At this moment, I would say that Western Arms is offering the best made 1911s, and they have plenty of models to choose from, some of them will look very much like your Trojan. The Western Arms pistols though are more expensive and they would also tend to be abused by propane, unless they are further customized.

If you want a more affordable pistol, the Tokyo Marui 1911A1 is a fine pistol. It costs about 150$. Add another 100$ for a frame/slide kit and you can have a very solid, metal airsoft pistol.

My advise: Talk to a knowledgeable and well-established vendor, like Airsoft Extreme. They know their business and they can do customizing work for you.

Thanks in advance for your advise..
    You are welcome.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org