Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What beavertail fits the Springfields?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    When did springfield change the frame tangs? I have an old milspec NM prefix gun that I bought in 92. It has an Ed Brown beavertail installed and looks nice. I really like the high grip it allows. My Colt commander wears a drop in Wilson and it sits much differently for me. Frankly it just doesnt feel right.

I want to fit an Ed Brown to my next GI model so I guess it'll need welding up. Who doesnt charge an arm and leg for that?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    In my 1911, the S&A b'grip wasn't a drop-in. Some minor work and it works just fine.
    how much/what kind of minor work? i've had my eye on the smith & alexander for my mil spec. finding a true drop in seems to be getting farther and farther from my grasp.

Posts liked by others
    The frame on my Springfield is a Brazilian, and it seamed in very good shape when I got the gun. After a talk with our S & A supplier, we were assured by them that the selected b'tail grip safety would be a drop-in. It was not. So, my g'smith being the sharp guy that he is, had a tooling system/proceedure that he used to make for a perfect fit and operation.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    The frame on my Springfield is a Brazilian, and it seamed in very good shape when I got the gun. After a talk with our S & A supplier, we were assured by them that the selected b'tail grip safety would be a drop-in. It was not. So, my g'smith being the sharp guy that he is, had a tooling system/proceedure that he used to make for a perfect fit and operation.
    well that *****.

<----- poor

Posts liked by others
    that sounds like a downer. I wanted to put a Brown beavertail as well but there was a gap when it was installed on my trp. I think it's off to the gunsmith for fitting and build up.

Posts liked by others
    Dean,
    I too have a '94 Champion I picked up a couple of month's ago. I'm not answering your question but adding to it (sorry). Mine has the original single spring, should I stay with that or upgrade to the newer double spring? I would also like to install a "memory style" beaver tail so may be someone will answer both our questions. This is my first 1911 and I find that it takes a stiffer wrist than say an XD. It seems if I concentrate on that the gun works fine but if not, it will eject a load occasional. Is that me or the gun? My first question to Any forum so please have patience.
    Thanks,
    eglide (By the way, I really like the gun)

Posts liked by others
    They bolth fit I have 2 mil specs I have fitted one with a wilson and one with an Smith
    However the smith seems ti fit a bit better. It realy depends on the gun smith that cuts you tang. I have been a mititary armorer for 7 yreas now so I do most of my own work on 1911s and used a mill for bolth

Posts liked by others
    just ordered an S&A blued std GS (no palmswell) for my mc operator. will let yall know how well it 'drops in'

if it doesn't ill probably return it as i dont want to deal with refinishing the OD kote.

Posts liked by others
    let us know how it goes. A buddy of mine fit a S&A on his GI model. Turned out nice. THinking of getting the S&A and trying out if it will drop it and take out some of the wobble the original beavertail had.

My other option is to send it out to Springfield but i would then have to go through seperation anxiety

Posts liked by others
    will do.

i have to separate from my springer the right side thumb safety seems to loosen from the left side when i put a couple hundred rounds through her. springer cust service said i need to send it in for repair or replacement.

I'll let you know once i get the GS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast