Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What beavertail fits the Springfields?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

SA Champion

Dean Hoffmann:

Compare the frame tangs on your Champion to the pictures I posted above; if they match the top or bottom you can order a drop-in for Springfield models & the Colt Commander. If they match the center pic, then the correct part would be for a Colt Govt. model.

Grip safeties that require machining the frame (really pretty easy to do yourself, since most of the folks will supply a jig) are available from several sources if you don't want to go the "drop-in" route.

mitchjoe

Posts liked by others
    Thanks mitchjoe, I guess I got caught up in the nomenclature and it didn't occur to me to just look at the pictures. DUH! One more question though, in measuring the radius, what are the starting and stopping points. I've figured out 5 different ways of doing it and I'm not sure which is the correct one. Stay Safe. Dean
    Old and wiley beats young and exuberant everytime.

Posts liked by others
    Alright, apparently I'm a little bit slow, too.

So how much machining would be necessary to install an Ed Brown Memory Groove Beavertail on a Springfield Armory TRP Operator?
    Live in your world, Die in mine.

Posts liked by others

Memory Groove

PaveHammer:

You may want to give Springfield a ring. I've heard the Loaded, etc. models use a .250 radius & I've heard it's in between a couple measurements. If it's a .250 you may just need to fit the engagement arm & call it good. If not, you'll have to find out if there is enough material to fit the part using a .250 jig. The folks at SA should be able to help you out.

mitchjoe

Posts liked by others
    I have found that springfields custom shop will add a beaver, to any 1911, for $90. Is this a good price and will it require more than just droppin it in. Josh

Posts liked by others
    In my opinion not a bad price. A beavertail costs 35 to 40 dollars average.
    Most are not drop in fit. The ones that are don't look too good in the gun.
    I recently installed an S&A in mine. I spent two hours with a file making
    it fit properly. I don't mind the work as I enjoy doing the job myself. But if
    you aren't comfortable fileing on your frame the 90 dollar fee isn't bad at all.
    springfield mil-spec
    s+w 4046
    s+w 586
    ruger sp101 357
    ruger single six
    star super 9mm
    amt backup .45

Beavertail for SA GI - really?

So, some find the beavertail necessary or simply a habit for the SA GI?
    My hands are thin, and the 'grip safety part' (that curves) on 1911 models does not protect you from hammer bites? What's the skinny on this topic?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker
    So, some find the beavertail necessary or simply a habit for the SA GI?
    My hands are thin, and the 'grip safety part' (that curves) on 1911 models does not protect you from hammer bites? What's the skinny on this topic?
    I'm kind of a big boy (6', 250lbs - on a light day), and my hands are kind of... "hamish". And with a standard GI-style grip safety I really have to watch where I hold the gun or I'm in for some smartin'. And the compact models with a shortened grip... fughetaboutit. Those things are mighty uncomfortable for me just holding them... let alone firing.

On the flip side--for people like yourself--it may never be a problem... which is good for you, you can spend less on a 1911 and get a gun that works great for you. Its funny, I started out posting here getting opinions on the GI models and Mil Specs... but once I went out and held them and fired them I realized that since I already needed an ambi safety... I might as well get the loaded, because I also need a beavertail and a flat MSH for the gun to sit comfortable... It's all preference.

Posts liked by others
    Smith & Alexander Makes Beavertail Grip Safeties With The 220. Radious Made Specificly For Springfield Armory 1911's Drop In's, DONT Even Bother Trying To Fit It,you Dont Have To. Brownells #849-009-117 & #849-009-127
    Last edited by eddie3911; 27th December 2005 at 04:15. Reason: BAD SPELLING

Posts liked by others
    In my 1911, the S&A b'grip wasn't a drop-in. Some minor work and it works just fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast