Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dillon 550B or 650xl

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

dillon 550B or 650xl

ok i know the differences between the two but my idea to lean toward the 550 is due to cost and production rate. i can not justify the extra money for the 650 plus all the accessories to go with it so that it is actually faster, ie case feeder. After all these add ons it is nearly twice the cost of the 550B. What do you guys think?
    I would rather spend the 400 or so with dies stand ect on the 550B and load 300 less per hour than to DBL the cost, i suppose it all depends on how much you shoot. I shoot aout 1500 rnds a month sometime a bit more. So i figure 3-4 hrs a month reloading with the 550B gets me what i need. Are there any other reasons I should consider when making my final choice? I dont want to over look anything here and wish i had gotten the one or the other.
    Thanx guys

Posts liked by others
    I find it easier to switch calibers on the 550 than the 650 (and both are FAR easier than my 1050).

Although the optional case feeder on the 650 is very nice to have, I load almost as fast on my 550. If you can swing all of them, I'd advice having a 550 for odd calibers and a 1050 for the one you shoot a lot (or one each for the calibers you shoot a lot).

Me? 9 by 23 on a 1050, 40 on a 650, and 45 Colt/.357/44 mag on a 550. Actual milage may vary, not for the other use, keep out of children.

Alex
    USPSA L2484, IDPA SO A17008, SASS 21509
    NRA Training Counselor, TX CHL Instructor
    ...and chief cook and bottle washer...

Posts liked by others
    I shoot about the same as you and have a 550. I don't have a desire for a 650. I have never used a 650, so if I ever do, my opinion may change. For now though, I am happy with the 550. If I get a little behind, I just use some cheap factory loads until I can get some reloads worked up. This helps to replenish my supply of brass too.
    Mike's Sport Shop
    Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, WileyX, NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM

Posts liked by others
    i cast my vote for the 550B. I have very good experience with it. first time i got it with the video, I am reloading in about an hour.

Posts liked by others
    I have both models.
    The 550 is more convenient to change primer sizes, but I do not like the primer system in the 550.
    The 550 is easier to adjust as it does not automatically index. However, once things are set up the 650 is much more efficient in my opinion. I do not have the auto case feeder, and just fill the tube which holds 24 .45 ACP cases.

I leave the 650 set up for .45, and the 550 for small primers.

If I had only one it would be the 650, but would not be unhappy with only the 550. If cost is a factor get the 550.

My complaint of the primer system in the 550 is that the spent primers do not eject into the hopper, but sometimes fall on the press and cause stoppage of the press until it is cleared. It is not difficult to clear, but inconvenient.
    Anyone with suggestions on that?

Jerry

Posts liked by others
    Have you checked the little trap door on the primer catcher on the shell platform? If it is stuck in the open position, the primers just shoot right through and miss the hopper.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Gammon,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I check it often, and that is the problem. But so far I have not determined a way to get it to work well all the time. It is just a problem that comes up somewhere in the process each time I load any quantity of rounds.

That is my one major objection to the 550B.

Jerry

Posts liked by others
    Check the fit between the door and the rest of the piece. If it is too tight, a little soot will jam it up. I have had very little trouble with my 550 in this area; I wouls say that I could load several thousand rounds (5 to 10) before the device would need cleaning. It is soft sheet metal which can be easily adjusted for fit. I would not use any wet lubricat on it, that will just attract and hold soot.

Posts liked by others

Talking

I know I'm spoiled. I have a SDB (.45 ACP), a 550 originally set for .45 ACP (but now used strictly for .223/5.56) and a 650 with the case feeder (.38 Special, 357 Magnum, 9MM, .40S&W, and of course .45 ACP - .45 is the only one that uses large primers). The 650 is by far the easiest, fastest, smoothest, quickest, and most time efficient than the other two. I use 200 Grain LSWC for the .45 ACP loads, and can't keep the primers loaded fast enough.

FWIW the 650 is Kink Kong of the Dillon’s - Some will say the 1050 is King Kong but the 1050 is a commercial machine, and it doesn't carry the lifetime no ****** warranty. Every time I call Dillon for service on any of the presses I have my parts within a week. If I had it to do all over again I would buy XL650 every time.

BTW - I purchased my SDB and 550 used from two different friends that were up grading. I immediately mailed them both back to Dillon (this was about three years apart). Dillon refurbished each and sent them back to me. The total cost of the refurbish was the shipping to Dillon. Dillon took care of the shipping cost back to me.
    Dan0

"The will to win is NOT as great as the will to prepare to win"

Posts liked by others
    The 1050 carries the same warranty as the other machines. I have had one for over ten years and Dillon has replaced several expensive parts at no cost to me. The 1050 is well worth the extra money; its only drawback is long caliber conversions and expensive tool heads ($110). I use the 1050 for the high volume reloading, and save the 300, 450B, and the 550B for lower volume calibers. I once owned an SD, but got rid of it; worst press Dillon ever made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast