Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Changing RIA sights

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Changing RIA sights

I want to change my sights over to trijicon sights and I don't want to mill the slide to use dovetail sights. I am afraid of doing anything to the slide since it is about as perfect as it gets. Does someone make a set that will work on the RIA where it does not take any machining?
    Thanks.
    If it moves and isn't supposed to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and is supposed to, use WD-40!

Posts liked by others
    My gunsmith had a set of Meprolight tritium sights still in the package, I said put 'em on. Turned out the front sight had a different sized tenon than my RIA slide, and Meprolight didn't offer a set with the correct sized tenon, so he put on a set of Trijicon's without my approval.

They worked fine, but the rear sight was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. My slide is currently in the hands of Novak, they're putting one of their rear sights on and retaining the Trijicon front. They say it's the same height as their front and will work fine with their rear.

So, to answer your question, Trijicon makes a front that will fit without cutting a dovetail, but the rear looks like a Lego block sitting there. Perhaps Trijicon offers a better looking rear sight, but mine was hideous, in my opinion. Here it is...

Last edited by rondawg; 19th November 2007 at 13:23.

Posts liked by others
    http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2007/...mory-tactical/

Check the bottom of the page for the factory sight schematics. They have a Novak slide cut front and rear.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks guys for the ideas. What about Tru-glo's? I have mulled that idea too.
    Thanks!
    If it moves and isn't supposed to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and is supposed to, use WD-40!

Posts liked by others
    True Glo's especially on the front sight are great!

Posts liked by others
    [QUOTE=rondawg]My gunsmith had a set of Meprolight tritium sights still in the package, I said put 'em on. Turned out the front sight had a different sized tenon than my RIA slide, and Meprolight didn't offer a set with the correct sized tenon, so he put on a set of Trijicon's without my approval.

They worked fine, but the rear sight was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. My slide is currently in the hands of Novak, they're putting one of their rear sights on and retaining the Trijicon front. They say it's the same height as their front and will work fine with their rear.

So, to answer your question, Trijicon makes a front that will fit without cutting a dovetail, but the rear looks like a Lego block sitting there. Perhaps Trijicon offers a better looking rear sight, but mine was hideous, in my opinion.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Darn - I'll never be able to sight in again without thinking about Legos

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BobL
    Quote Originally Posted by rondawg
    My gunsmith had a set of Meprolight tritium sights still in the package, I said put 'em on. Turned out the front sight had a different sized tenon than my RIA slide, and Meprolight didn't offer a set with the correct sized tenon, so he put on a set of Trijicon's without my approval.

So, to answer your question, Trijicon makes a front that will fit without cutting a dovetail, but the rear looks like a Lego block sitting there. Perhaps Trijicon offers a better looking rear sight, but mine was hideous, in my opinion.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Darn - I'll never be able to sight in again without thinking about Legos

Legos... thats funny! I do like the looks of them though. BobL... any machining work to fit to the RIA?
    Last edited by aurktman; 19th November 2007 at 18:18.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Aurktman
    Yeah, there was some machining to get them to fit. Fortunately, I have a friend that's good doing that kind of work so I just gave it him one day and he gave it back to me the next day - done!!