Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Restoration experts

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

For a true restoration there are 2 names Adair and Turnbull.

For a true restoration there are 2 nationally known names Bill Adair and Doug Turnbull. There certainly are others who can do the work. AFAIK Adair is in Texas and Turnbull in New York.

Bill Adair at: http://www.restoration-gunsmith.com/ has good discussion of Should I restore it on his website. He also notes that he is not currently accepting new work but will again accept limited new work next year in 2008.

What needs to be remembered is that there is a world of difference between "refinishing" and "restoration". the term "refinishing" could mean hot-bluing a single-action (where hot-blue wasn't invented till about 1937). But "restoration" means doing things right. It means doing it precisely like it was done 80 or 150 years ago by the factory. It means polishing in the exact way the factory did it, and finishing the exact way the factory did it.

There are only a handful of restoration-gunsmiths in the world who can do that... or who will do that. To that handful you can entrust your antique arms.
    Doug Turnbull at: http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/ also has a good deal of useful information on his web site. For refinishing only as the major thrust I would probably go with Turnbull first myself for a quicker turnaround. For dealing with a seriously abused firearm there is a lot to be said for Mr. Adair.
    Likes (1) :
    ChairborneRanger (13th December 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I'd strongly recommend posting photos and asking questions before making a decision to refinish or restore any pistol.
    Originality isn't something that can be restored. Originality is fragile; once lost or altered, it's gone forever. You can't bring it back, no matter how much you spend. You can't fool someone who knows what to look for with any restoration.
    I'd rather look at or own a truly original pistol in poor condition than one that's been expertly restored. Original pieces are hard to find. To have a restored piece, you only have to get in line and pay the price.
    The only possible good candidates for a restoration, IMO, are pistols that have already been commercially refinished or otherwise permanently altered in some way. Those are the pieces to consider for a restoration. Even then, you need to post photos and ask questions.
    Likes (2) :
    ChairborneRanger (13th December 2021), condition2 (16th May 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Any work to a collectable firearm will devalue it, signifacantly. Maybe, I'm not understanding what you want to do?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gahimer
    I'd strongly recommend posting photos and asking questions before making a decision to refinish or restore any pistol.
    Originality isn't something that can be restored. Originality is fragile; once lost or altered, it's gone forever. You can't bring it back, no matter how much you spend. You can't fool someone who knows what to look for with any restoration.
    I'd rather look at or own a truly original pistol in poor condition than one that's been expertly restored. Original pieces are hard to find. To have a restored piece, you only have to get in line and pay the price.
    The only possible good candidates for a restoration, IMO, are pistols that have already been commercially refinished or otherwise permanently altered in some way. Those are the pieces to consider for a restoration. Even then, you need to post photos and ask questions.
    Scott: I hope I hit the correct button to get to you. I am a collector, primarily of Antique Colts, Winchesters, and high grade American shotguns. I am new to 1911s. I found 2 in my vault, which I have had for 35-40 years. I think both have not been messed with but I don't know for sure. They are # 91,xxx (Blue) & 608,xxx (parkerized)
    In 2 days of study of everything I can find on the internet, I believe that all parts, numbers and stampings are original and correct. A self designated "expert" on 1911s told me that both have replacement barrels (from 1911 A1) because they have a step just forward of the locking lugs. I wonder if a gun that was rebuilt by Augusta in the early 40s might not have this type of barrel supplied. Neither has any marks. I have some good pictures of these guns. My question is: Would you be willing to take a look at my pictures and tell me what you think? Also If barrels are incorrect, are correct original barrels available anywhere? Thanks in advance for your reply Jim

Posts liked by others
    Please post your photos here on the board. If you prefer not to post here, you can contact me directly by e-mail by clicking on my screen name, then clicking where it says send me an e-mail. I accept both e-mail and private messages through this site, but prefer e-mail just because it's easier for me to save and reference.

The information about the barrel step is correct, but one has to know what constitutes a "step". Additionally, there is more to look at regarding what is a correct and original barrel to a specific pistol than just the type of barrel...M1911 or M1911A1. There are several sub-variations of each type.

Both your pistols originally had a blued finish, but finishes that differed significantly. As a collector, I'm sure you realize type of finish does not determine originality. There's much more to it than that.

Welcome to the world of 1911 collecting. The M1911 and M1911A1 pistols were designed and maintained to have interchangeable parts. This makes it a lot tougher to determine originality, unless you are well-versed and relatively experienced.

It's a good thing you already owned these pistols and are not telling us about ones you just purchased.
    Last edited by Scott Gahimer; 4th January 2008 at 19:47.