Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We test Para Ordnance PXT SSP

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    So what are they selling those junk Paras for? There is a company up here who I can use to import handguns out of the States.

Take Care

Bob
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."
    - LtCol. Jeff Cooper as quoted in Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2002

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    So Max...you had issues using Remington ammunition, and that prompted you to sell the gun? As I recall, you stated that Remington was not working well for you, but Winchester was going through the gun "Like corn through a goose", and your groups were small, and exactly where you were aiming. In fact, you stated

"ok here's an update.. any complaints i originally had are now moot. winchester feeds like corn through a goose and is a dollar a box cheaper than remington anyway. silvertips in the 185gr. had no malfunction and shot about 1.5inch groups. the pistol will shoot 2inch or smaller with all ammo ive tried. would i like a pistol that will shoot anything.......sure but im not giving up this para. wilson combat 7rounders with bumper pad really brought out the charm by the way."

So.....what am I missing here?

And in reference to your mentions of dealers having issues with SSP's and LTC, I find it a little hard to swallow that they will open up to you about this, but not notify the manufacturer.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    The Para's have a series 80 FP safety which, in proper working order, would prevent an AD if the hammer follows the slide. Did you remove the series 80 system? Installed correctly?

Tuner will know on the 8 round mag problem, but I'll guess your particular 8 round mag is hitting the disconnector when it's in the mag well.
    However, even recently, I usually guess wrong on troubleshooting.

Posts liked by others
    If the mag is hitting the disconnector when the mag is in the magwell it definitely will cause the slide to fall. I replaced my disconnector on my son's P-14 shortly after I bought the gun back in '03. The disconnector has a little to much metal in the wrong place.

Take Care

Bob
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."

Posts liked by others
    yeah john i did have one good range day with the para and came right home and wrote about it. but that was the last good day that pistol ever gave me even after having it looked over.
    not saying paras are bad guns, i just got a bummer.
    as far as ammo ive put everything on the shelf at the gun store through it. some fed bad some fed horrible.
    its to bad cause i really like the feel of the ltc. light weight.
    again im not trashing para. they probably do have alot of good guns. im just not going to try again with them

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Did you try contacting Para to have your problems fixed? And if yes what was the result? If no, don't you think that you should use that lifetime warranty that Para gives with every gun?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    dealing with there help desk was a deciding factor to just get rid of the pistol.
    i think i would give them another chance if i could find a new para with a regular extracter.
    all the problems i had with that pistol were cause from the extracter claw being to narrow for the rim of the shell. but of course i got it when they just hit the market to. might have fix em by now.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    You ain't answering my question: Did you call Para and told them that you had problems? What did they say? Your pistol is covered by a lifetime warranty, what did they say? If it was such a simple thing, why didn't you return the pistol to Para to have it fixed?

And the extractor claw of the PXT extractor is almost twice the width of the regular one. How can it be too narrow? Maybe you mean "too shallow"?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    I agree with John you haven't answered his question. Seems to me if you had an extractor with to narrow of a cut the repair is quite easy, you simply replace the extractor. To answer your obsevaton the new extractors are a significant improvement over the original design and do work. Yours is the first I have heard that had to narrow of a cut for the rim of the case. Coil spring extractors work. FN has been using them in the Hi-Power since the sixties. As for the claw, well it is huge, ,more likely a marketing decision over what was really required but none the less an improvement. I say that only because few, if any make the old extractor out of spring steel and the old design does have a propensity to break if you drop the slide on a chambered round.

Take care

Bob

Posts liked by others
    yes the extractor was to narrow. which seemed to be the only problem with the gun. the rim of the case would not seat sometimes which caused a stove pipe.
    it would have been an easy fix but after going round and round with there repair dept. i just traded it off. lifetime warranty dosnt mean anything if my dealer cant get them to look at the pistol.
    i know it is supposed to be an improvment and like i said i probably just got the 1 in a thousand that was a bummer.
    think kimber did a fine job just by going to the glock extracter if you want to upgrade a 1911
    its no big deal now cause i got a good trade on a smith mountain gun so im happy.
    just got the bummer of the pile.
    yes i did call para and they just said to find different ammo. i had already shot about 5 brands through the thing.
    anyway like i said im sure there a good company i just had a bad run with them.
    hope this helps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast