Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We test Para Ordnance PXT SSP

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I am kind of puzzled here. When you use 8-round mags, and release the slide, the hammer falls? Does that mean that if you use 7-rounders and release the slide the hammer does not fall? Or it still falls but does not fire? And on the last round you need to hit the gun to reset the sear?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I find accuracy to be a matter of perspective. I know a man that has an accurized 1911, a Clark gun. All he shoots with it is tin cans. But it never misses a beat. Some guns will shoot 3" at 10 yards or 25 yards or even 50 yards. A superb gun will be capable of 1.5" at 50 yards. (that is match ammo in Ransom rest of course) I find that if the gun is more accurate than I am capable of shooting it leaves room for learning on my part.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus
    Last edited by Joni Lynn; 17th May 2005 at 14:28. Reason: addition of text

Posts liked by others
    I find accuracy to be a function of my physical condition. The last time at the range, I couldn't come close to duplicating the results from when I shot a 25-yard qualifying target to apply for a RI carry permit.

I'm concerned about the Para that fires when you close the slide. Sounds like a magazine problem, though. The Para mags are 7-round, correct? So whose 8-round mag is it, and does it do the same thing with all 8-round magazines, only one brand, or only one particular magazine? What does it do with 7-round mags -- both Para and after-market?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    John,
    I know, sounds strange, but only when I use my 8 round mags will the hammer follow the slide and discharge the gun, and only when I use the 8's will, on the last round in the magazine not fire. When the trigger is pulled, the hammer stays to the rear, there's no movement in the trigger. If I hit the magazine well, I hear a small click, and then I can fire the gun.. I have been shooting 1911's for quite some time now and have never expeirienced anything like this. Honesltly, I can't figure out why or how it is happening..
    I have probably ran about 500 rounds through the gun up to this point, and in the begining this wasn't an issue, just failure to feeds on ever last round of the magazine, that seemed to work itself out, now I have this problem.

Mike

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arty155mm
    John,
    I know, sounds strange, but only when I use my 8 round mags will the hammer follow the slide and discharge the gun, and only when I use the 8's will, on the last round in the magazine not fire. When the trigger is pulled, the hammer stays to the rear, there's no movement in the trigger. If I hit the magazine well, I hear a small click, and then I can fire the gun.. I have been shooting 1911's for quite some time now and have never expeirienced anything like this. Honesltly, I can't figure out why or how it is happening..
    I have probably ran about 500 rounds through the gun up to this point, and in the begining this wasn't an issue, just failure to feeds on ever last round of the magazine, that seemed to work itself out, now I have this problem.

Mike
    Are you sure that the sear/hammer/sear spring etc, are all assembled in the proper way. Somehow I think that there lies your problem.

Where is Tuner when one needs him?

Rgds
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I think if it were mine either it would be on the way back to Para's repair shop, or I would limit myself to using 7-round magazines.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Removed by writer
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."
    - LtCol. Jeff Cooper as quoted in Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2002
    Last edited by robertbank; 19th May 2005 at 22:17.

Posts liked by others

1st Para

Just got my first Para. Found it used at a local shop for a great price, and the owner had the graciousness to have nite-sites installed (Ashley Big Dot).
    Accurate but I was using cheap 230 gr. lead ammo that would not feed in the Para or in a Sig P220 .45. Will stay away from the 3-D ammo, even if it cheap to shoot it is not worth the hassle. 100 rounds and the 3-D ammo failed to feed almost every time with every mag (Wilson's and Metal Form, along with factory magazines). Other ammo worked without a hitch (FMJ and JHP). I am int he process of taking it down for a thorough cleaning. Anyone else had a problem with a Para and cheap ammo? I know - I should have known better! LOL Pistol seems to be well-made and fit and finish seem above average.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bill may
    Anyone else had a problem with a Para and cheap ammo? I know - I should have known better! LOL Pistol seems to be well-made and fit and finish seem above average.
    Yes. I had some Ammerican Ammunition 230 grain ball ammo that would not feed reliably in either my LDA12 or P13. When I tried the same ammo in a new 1911 clone I just built it wouldn't feed at all. Winchester white box fed perfectly in the same pistol.

I read somewhere that American Ammunition uses out-of-spec brass. I will not be using that brand again.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    wow, glad you guys are having good luck with your pxt's. first and last gun i bought from para was a ssp pxt. would shoot half dollar groups all day. most of the time it would not chamber the first round on a slide release and the last round would jam into the top of the barrel hood so i had to drop the mag to chamber/eject the round. the rim of the case just wouldnt go into the extracter cause it was to tight a fit.
    went to trade the pistol in for somthing that didnt have the pxt but they dropped there good extracters from there line so i dropped para.
    lots of used ssp and ltc's in the gun store when i go in now and some of the dealers just dont want them on there shelfs at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast