Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 Engineering Drawings?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 Engineering Drawings?

I have access to some pretty accurate 5-axis equipment - are there any 1911 drawings or better yet, 3D CAD files available?

Posts liked by others
    There are links to blueprints on the M1911.org homepage in the parts diagram section.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)
    Last edited by garrettwc; 24th August 2007 at 15:38.

Posts liked by others
    Also, look through the posts by Niemi24s. He has re-done some of the drawings and includes calculated dimensions, including tolerance limits, that are not on the originals....very helpful. Some of his posts also note dimensions where there is no drawing. I keep trying to get him to collect them and post as a sticky.

Posts liked by others
    Someone really has to get Niemi24s and Tuner together to create a publication.

a wild idea: imagine a Linux-like 1911, a complete design and a set of parts with no intellectual property encumbrances, available for anyone wanting to build a pistol...
    - MacEntyre
    Per Ardua, Infensus, Sine Politico
    Haec manus inimica tyrannis

Posts liked by others
    I still have a FOIA request pending for copies of the original prints from Picatinny. No word as of yet.

While the prints available on the net are decent, they are unreadable in some critical areas. At least they are to me. It would be nice to have a full set of prints that are readable to reference.

Anyone...?
    C BTRY 1st BN 119th FA

Posts liked by others
    Oh, my! Can this evolve into yet another 1911 manufacturer?

At this point, it looks like a challenging and potentially rewarding DIY project.

Be sure to declare your intentions to BATFE, and comply with their requirements for manufacturing a firearm,

Good luck, and keep us advised of your progress!

Posts liked by others
    I was looking at buying a bushing - saw the various sizes offered and thought "heck I've got equipment that can turn out those puppies in .0002" increments" (at about 5 minutes per) - Just think of what I can do during lunch

Posts liked by others
    Hi ChrisAR15: The most readable and complete set of blueprints I've found (free on the web) for the 1911 are those from CNC Guns. A link to them is available in the Technical Issues section of this forum. The blueprints available from TheSight are very incomplete and have areas of total unreadability.

There may be a better (more readable) set available from Nicolaus for about $30, but I've not seen them so can't comment on their readability.

No idea about 3D CAD files, but CNC Guns might be a good starting point.
    Last edited by niemi24s; 25th August 2007 at 20:56.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ambidextrous1
    Be sure to declare your intentions to BATFE, and comply with their requirements for manufacturing a firearm
    ...or do it in Minnesota, and volunteer to be the test case.
    - MacEntyre
    Per Ardua, Infensus, Sine Politico
    Haec manus inimica tyrannis

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ambidextrous1
    Be sure to declare your intentions to BATFE, and comply with their requirements for manufacturing a firearm,
    Why would someone who wishes to construct their own 1911 (if that's what the original poster wants to do) have to declare their intentions to the BATFE? The regulations clearly allow an individual to construct a firearm for personal use, with no need for any license, permit, or permission from the BATFE.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside