Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Baers? Read this.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    My NM Hardball didn't come with a buff. I put a Wilson in it and in 1300 rnds I've had one stoppage (a failure to feed which I'm pretty sure was the mag) and the gun is still tight, but is much easier to disassemble.
    -Steve

Col. Colt made 'em equal,
    More or less...

Posts liked by others

More New to Baers

Great post!

I just received my new Custom Carry (photos on another post) and after a break in shoot of 400 rounds at the range, I took it down for cleaning. I found that the CC did not have a shock buff. I wonder if Les doesn't include them in the pieces that are marketed for carry/ defense purposes?

This isn't my first Baer; just had to wait a long while since my last one, a Concept X Comanche. One of the things I learned early on is to push the slide back just past the extra material that allows the barrel to lock up tightly against the bushing. You can accomplish this feat by putting the heal of the piece on your bench and simultaneously pushing down on the slide with the bushing wrench and off-hand. With practice, you can more easily remove the barrel bushing. Assembly is a bit tougher but, as in shooting small holes in paper, practice makes perfect.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts liked by others
    I have used buffers in my Hi-Powers and 1911's for years and have had some begin to shred as soon as 50 rounds. I install them for range shooting and remove them when I use the pistol for carry.

I just picked up my new Baer Thunder Ranch Model. I won't get to the range until next week.
    High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts liked by others
    I have used buffers in my Hi-Powers and 1911's for years...
    why?

I install them for range shooting...
    Why?

[I]remove them when I use the pistol for carry.
    Why?

I don't mean to "call you out", but really, WHY? I simply fail to see any practical neccessity for these gizmos!

Posts liked by others

Don't dread the ambi!

In this installment of the "Learning to live with your Baer" thread, I thought I'd address what most consider to be the greatest obstacle of detail stripping: The Ambi-safety If you don't have one, go to another thread

The fact is, just like every other part of a Baer, the ambi's are extremely tightly fit. Baer uses a "tongue-in-groove" style connection between the two posts of the safety. They are machined to actually "snap-fit". When you try to wrestle them out, you're not only up against the tight tolerances between the post and channel, but also the tension of the snap-fit T-n-G. This has peeled back more than one thumbnail during removal attempts.

I have come up with two little tools, which, like the toothbrush trick, can make your life a lot easier and also avoid bloodletting.

The first thing I tried was a popsicle stick. Brilliant in theory, but since they're made of soft wood, not so hot in application. It did spark the flint of invention however. I went to my local lumber store and got a 4" section of 1/4" hardwood dowel. After rounding one end and sanding the other flat, to about a 4' bevel, then hitting it with some 400g to polish it, I had a sturdy wedge, which would not "shave" when I inserted it under the right-side paddle. The real key here is finding any material hard enough not to shave, or break when leveraging the paddle off, yet soft enough not to mar the frame

The other widget I devised is one of those cuticle pushers from the girlfriend's beauty kit. While the commandeering landed me in Chateau Bow Wow for a couple days, the result was worth the peril. Again, these are made of hard plastic and wont mar the frame. A few passes on some 200g paper, then a polish, again rendered a tool capable of removing the paddle.

Regardless of which you choose, always sand and polish against the grain.

Good luck and happy stripping.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks!
    I used a credit card. It wasn't good for much else so I was happy to find a suitable use for it.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by targetshooter
    I just picked up my new Baer Thunder Ranch Model. I won't get to the range until next week.
    Congrats on your TR, they are real nice. I bought mine used, and it has spoiled me, just like all the good info on this forum has spoiled me.

EDITED: I'd also mention checking the different threads throughout this (Baer), and the other subforums (like maintenance, etc...), for information on Baers. Being new to Baers myself, I learned to move the slide (to remove the bushing) by reading one of Joni's posts while searching for other information.

One thing I learned about Baers deals with the tight fit of slide to frame. It seems to be a trademark, and with none of the reliability concerns that some other folks expect to happen.
    John from 1849 Sutter's Fort. Retired to Texas.
    Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
    "Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
    Last edited by Poohgyrr; 9th October 2007 at 23:27.

Posts liked by others

Stay on task, PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Poohgyrr
    Congrats on your TR, they are real nice. I bought mine used, and it has spoiled me, just like all the good info on this forum has spoiled me.
    No disrespect intended, but... Please keep to the spirit and thrust of this thread. It is intended to help those who are new to Les Baer pistols; those who want to learn and those who can educate.

Congratulations and kudos for wise purchases...ETC! are better handled on myriad other threads.

Thanks,
    Ping

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni Lynn
    Thanks!
    I used a credit card. It wasn't good for much else so I was happy to find a suitable use for it.
    Hmmm... credit card. Good idea!

Posts liked by others
    A little insight for those new owners who do like I did and test the accuracy first by shooting from a solid rest...dont do it at 10 yards...or you'll swear you missed all but the first shot...the group is that tight.

And Ping Ping....that remark about Chateau Bow Wow was hilarious...thanks for the laugh.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast