Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Baers? Read this.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by manderson
    Ditto to everything jrhawk said. I'll be picking up my new PII this week.

I guess this is where the debate comes in:

Is this a try it and find out for yourself issue? Meaning take a look at the shock buffer after 200 rounds or so to see what condition it's in? Isn't this the part I've heard Les Baer himself recommends not even replacing?
    This thread is in no way intended to be just YET another buff debate. Use them, or don't, whichever camp wherein you pitch your tent. If we absolutely must have YET another discussion of the ins and outs of using them, and their various iterations, this is best undertaken in the Parts Bin, fellers.

The controversial little gizmo is, as Bud said, on the breech end of the guide rod, between the guide rod and the recoil spring. The soft, urethane ones, which come in 5", non-TRS guns do not last 500rds and will disintegrate, leaving shards of urethane around the innerds of your dustcover. The reason I parenthesized (Ed Brown) above, is because the ones Les uses curiously resemle the ones from Brown. To my knowledge, Les isn't in possession of urethane injection equipment.

Yes, Les frequently recommeds removal and not replacement.
    Guns kill people the same way spoons make you fat.

Posts liked by others
    I am nowhere as knowledgeable as some of you guys, that's why I ask lots of quesstions(ask Ping), so when I tore down my PII after it's first 600 rounds to clean it it was no surprise to find a tore up piece of rubber. I called LB to ask if I needed it and would it hurt my gun to shoot it without it. Les Baer himself told me to throw it away it was a ********* and you don't need it, your gun will be fine without it. His words not mine. Now my Momma only raised 2 foolish children and their both girls. When the Master 1911 builder tells me something about his gun I listen................................I would like to add, to the people of this fourm. I love and have been around guns all my life and can hold my own in a conversation. I din't know all the technical ins and outs and you guys and girl have been wonderful in helping . BIG THANKS especially to Ping Ping who has kind of taken me under his wing on my first high end 1911 and always has time to to answer my questions. If there's any way I can be of help feel free to call 405-503-2025 Jimmy
    Last edited by surjimmy; 13th August 2007 at 18:52.

Posts liked by others
    The one in my P2 didn't stay intact very long, then I replaced it with a Wilson which is still holding up well.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    I wonder if they have changed the one in my Concept III looks like a wilson and has lasted quite well ..

never had one in my 8

Its all personal preferance ..

I would prefer to have enough free ammo to wear a few out ..lol

Got a buddie from work to shoot my Concept 8 today and he loved it maybe made another over to the Baer Crowd

Posts liked by others

Bushing Removal 101

Much is said about the tightness of Baer 1911s. From what I can tell, they are the tightest pistols produced. This fact has caused new Baer owners fits (pun), when it comes to the cleaning bench.

Joni Lynn, is famous for her advice that one pull the slide back a little in order to decrease bbl-to-bushing tension; enough to turn the bushing. That's sage advice, to be sure. However, since Lynnie is the only person I know who has three hands, her method can be a bit befuddling. So, how do the rest of us do it?

The best way I've found is to draw the slide back and insert the rear end of a toothbrush between the breech and the bbl hood. If you have a toothbrush with a slightly fatter handle, that's even better. Once inserted, let the slide pinch the handle, turn the gun upwards, let the butt and beavertail rest on your cleaning mat, grasp the slide in your support hand and let your wrench to its thing.

Hope this helps.

Posts liked by others
    I am going to try out Pings sage advice next week as my SRP is a bit overdue for its second cleaning - its taken 1,200 rounds to loosen that slide ( as you noted mentors told me it would! ). Since its also time to get a new tooth brush its an ideal time to try the PING PING PATENTED BAER END BRUSH. Do I find ordering information on the multi-tool thread? I heard that Frank had a hand in the design and its available in a pink or mauve color scheme. On a serious note this sounds like a great suggestion and I am really going to employ it next week..... that way I will not have to ruin another plastic bushing wrench.

Posts liked by others
    What I do when using a short guide rod is pull the slide back a bit and grab the entire gun with my hand, sort of just wrap my large hand around the gun and hold the slide in place while I attack the problem with a bushing wrench.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni Lynn
    What I do when using a short guide rod is pull the slide back a bit and grab the entire gun with my hand, sort of just wrap my large hand around the gun and hold the slide in place while I attack the problem with a bushing wrench.
    I find the easiest way is to simply remove the slide from the frame. Make sure you grab the spring and guide rod. Remove them and then go to work on the bushing.

ranburr
    Likes (1) :
    Noelsidewinder (3rd October 2017)

Last edited by ranburr; 26th September 2007 at 15:59.

Posts liked by others
    I've done it that way also and it works quite well. Good idea!
    - Albert Camus
    Likes (1) :
    Noelsidewinder (3rd October 2017)

Posts liked by others
    What I do is insert an empty cartridge case in the breech to keep the slide back while I remove the bushing.

I've also heard that Les will be the first to tell you to trash the shock-buff if it causes problems. Someone asked him why he included them if he didn't feel they were necessary, and his reply was that he was getting calls saying "Brown and Wilson put shock-buffs in their guns, why don't you?" I guess he figured a shock-buff was cheaper than answering the phone.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast