Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Cooper's four rules of safe gun handling

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Jeff Cooper's four rules of safe gun handling

Rule One

All guns are always loaded.

Rule Two

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Rule Three

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.

Rule Four

Be sure of your target. (Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot anything you have not positively identified.)

And if I may add one more thing:

Remember, Guns are NOT dangerous. People are.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 19th March 2005 at 11:03.

Posts liked by others
    Amen on that add in about the guns not being dangerous. My Mom used to be scared to death of a gun. She said they were dangerous and did not want to be around them. She had never had any problems with one but she did not wish to be in the same room with one. She is 75 years old and pretty much set in her ways.......odd though they may be. I have taken her out with us shooting and she has relaxed a LOT. She won't touch one yet but she is not scared to death of them either. She also will not go flying with me. May be showing some good sence there.

Have a good weekend.

Jim

I will probably get some grief about saying this, but I believe guns ARE very dangerous. That is the reason safe handling is so important.

Fruit is not dangerous. If I have a juicy apple in my hand, it doesn't really matter how I handle it, I'm not going to accidentally blow someone's head off with it.

If I mis-handle a firearm and hurt someone, it is true I am dangerous. It is also true that anything that can launch a 230 grain hunk of lead 800fps is a fairly dangerous device.

$0.02

Posts liked by others

Most tools, if misused, have the potential to cause great harm

That does not make the tool itself dangerous. A normal sized adult could kill you with a hammer, but that same hammer is inert without an operator using it. Apples, on the other hand, can be quite dangerous. A person could be allergic or choke on an apple.

The point of all of this? Without someone taking some sort of action, tools are not inherently dangerous. A gun, sitting on a table, cannot do anything but sit there. It requires action my an individual to become dangerous. Your piece of fruit example is flawed. A piece of fruit can do nothing, but it will decompose. That decomposing piece of fruit may off-gas a noxious vapor that could be dangerous.

My response should not be viewed as sarcasm, but I feel it is my duty to expose misconceptions. We are splitting hairs here. Firearms do have great potential to do harm, when in the hands of someone that would seek to do such things or someone who is careless. That is why safety rules are so important.

Just my 2¢

Robert
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." Benjamin Franklin

No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements)." Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution (with his note added), 1776.

The definition of dangerous from a few websites is:

involving or causing danger or risk; liable to hurt or harm; "a dangerous criminal"; "a dangerous bridge"; "unemployment reached dangerous proportions"

IMO, when handling a device that has "great potential to do harm" you are involving risk in your day. That device is bringing danger into the situation. That's all. I don't think that is a misconception.

I feel safe when I am at the range handling and firing my gun. I enjoy it very much. I do realize however that it IS a more dangerous enviornment then my living room. If there was no one at the range and just a bunch of firearms sitting on the bench there would be no danger then right? So it must be people that are the dangerous part of the equation... I think that is spin.

Posts liked by others
    No, meanjeans-

You're exactly right. People ARE the dangerous part of the equation. Just like with a car that has 400 hp- If that car is parked in the garage no damage can be done. Once someone gets behind the wheel then that person can drive that car for 30 years and never get a ticket or have an accident. Or that person can go out and drive 100 mph on residential streets and kill a whole family going out for ice cream. Is the car dangerous? Do you really need 400 hp? Maybe not, but the same thing could be said about a car with 300 hp, or 200 hp, or 100 hp, or 50 hp, or 25 hp- Should we all be riding bicycles? Well, that probably is a great idea but not very practicle. A gun is a tool as a car is a tool as a boat is a tool on and on and on. The issue is personal responsibility.

Posts liked by others
    An object is only as dangerous as the person handling it.

Steve

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLATT1911
    An object is only as dangerous as the person handling it.

Steve
    Ban assault BICs.

(It's for the children!)
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    "Fruit is not dangerous."

Oh yeah? The Monty Python Troupe might not agree!
    "Humani nihil alienum"

Posts liked by others
    FruitCAKES with guns are dangerous.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast