Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: What 1911s do you have?

Voters
2737. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

37 1.35%
  • Auto Ordnance

73 2.67%
  • Les Baer

167 6.10%
  • Ed Brown

61 2.23%
  • Bul

13 0.47%
  • Clark

23 0.84%
  • Colt

1,024 37.41%
  • Cylinder & Slide

7 0.26%
  • Charles Daly/Armscor/Rock Island/SAM

274 10.01%
  • Guncrafter

6 0.22%
  • Kimber

808 29.52%
  • Llama/Firestorm

83 3.03%
  • Norinco

130 4.75%
  • Olympic Arms

11 0.40%
  • Para Ordnance

251 9.17%
  • Pistol Dynamics

5 0.18%
  • Rock River Arms

38 1.39%
  • Sigarms

92 3.36%
  • Smith & Wesson

203 7.42%
  • Springfield

869 31.75%
  • STI

95 3.47%
  • Dan Wesson

91 3.32%
  • Wilson Combat

127 4.64%
  • Others

505 18.45%
  • Do not want to answer

5 0.18%
  • Nighthawk Custom

23 0.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657

Thread: What 1911s do you have?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by onthesquare357
    I just wanted to say Greetings to the Group. I am a new member as of today. I really wanted to comment on the Regent 1911 .45ACP . I purchased one about 3 months ago with the intent to upgrade several things. They advertise it as a Gun to build on. I have been pleased with the gun as a whole right out of the box. It shot maybe alittle better than I expected. This is with 230gr FMJ only. I know the gun would have trouble with the WC and HP ammo. But I didn't really buy it as a CCW. I got a nice Taurus MIL PRO 140, in .40cal for that. But while at the range the other day, the front sight on the Regent just fell off, never to be found again. At first it was no big deal cause I planned to upgrade them anyway. I talked with my Gunsmith about what I could get and he told me that he wouldn't mess with it because it is a staked sight as oppose to a dovetail. The sights are the only thing that is really lacking on this gun. I had painted the front sight with some bright red nail polish to get by till I upgraded. lol..hey it worked. I am not happy that I had to send the gun back to Umarex in order to have another plain black staked sight installed. The gun was accurate out of the box. I am hoping after getting a new sight it comes back as accurate as it was the first time. I plan to get the trigger,hammer and barrel upgraded once I get it back, but I sure wish I had another option with the sights. Does anyone know of away to do this??? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Sgt. Mac,

Send your slide to Novak. They'll cut a front dovetail, a rear Novak dovetail, and you'll have the broadest range of choice of sights in the universe.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides
    Last edited by wjkuleck; 3rd December 2011 at 21:50.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by onthesquare357
    I talked with my Gunsmith about what I could get and he told me that he wouldn't mess with it because it is a staked sight as oppose to a dovetail.
    Gunsmith? Maybe! But he ain't no 1911 mechanic, because it is not that big a deal to stake on a 1911 front sight. IMO anybody that calls themselves a gunsmith should have the tool and be able to do it.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhwind
    Gunsmith? Maybe! But he ain't no 1911 mechanic, because it is not that big a deal to stake on a 1911 front sight. IMO anybody that calls themselves a gunsmith should have the tool and be able to do it.
    It ain't so hard that even I can do it. However, as my associate Drake points out, the dovetail is a much better idea. He keeps trying to get my staked-on-sight-slides into his mill.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides
    Last edited by wjkuleck; 3rd December 2011 at 22:56.

Posts liked by others

Regent sights

I appreciate all the help...looks like Novak may be the answer...if not just more red nail polish!! lol But really thanks for the info. Yeah my gunsmith said he did'nt have the tool and that it was tricky to get right at best.
    Sgt.Mac
    US ARMY
    Desert Storm Veteran 90'-91'

Posts liked by others

Next 1911

I wanted to say that my next 1911 is going to between the Springfield Range Officer, The Ruger, "hard to find" and or a Para Ordiance. Ther are so many out there, my budget is around $1000 give or take a couple hundred.
    Whatever it is it will have dovetail sights.
    Sgt.Mac
    US ARMY

Posts liked by others
    Any competent gunsmith should be able to mill a dovetail in the slide to accept whatever front sight you might wish. Choose carefully as there are many different sights available and - unfortunately - most of them want to have a proprietary cut as opposed to making it better for the customer and using a standardized cut.

The computer and cell phone industry was horrible about that, but, now seems to be going to a USB micro or mini on a lot of the available equipment.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Steve...I am going to send it back in to have it repaired then go check out several differnt gunsmiths for thier opinions. I may just live with the staked sights on this gun. Might be better to spend the money on new gun. If I upgrade the barrel, trigger job and hammer, it will be good enough. It is really a great deal at $500 even if the sights are less than grand. The sights were the only thing that I didn't like. Thanks to all that responded to my post. I will let ya'll know when I decide which new model I am gonna buy.
    Sgt.Mac
    US ARMY

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657