Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication instructions

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Thanks, I'll probably get some when I run out of FP-10. I would have gotten it if I knew about it before I bought the FP-10.
    "NGFL"

Rio Vista Slim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moose63845
    Thanks, I'll probably get some when I run out of FP-10. I would have gotten it if I knew about it before I bought the FP-10.
    No problem my friend.

I hope the photos in John's review help.

Posts liked by others
    Is it ok to use motor oil as the lubricant? Can we actually use the usual motor oil or synthetic oils like Mobil 1?
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold

Posts liked by others
    valor1 - I've been using it for 4 months with a lot of shooting. I have shared the mixture with about 6 people at my Gun Club and they all like it. I don't know where on the Forum, but it was posted. 70% Mobil 1, 15% ATF, and 15% Marvin Mystery Oil. I used 15-50 wt., but 20-50 would be fine too. I got some large syringes from the pharmacy and filled them with the oil for application, and it works great. I can say that even after the guns sit up in the safe in different positions, the oil stays put. I can also say, after several shooting sessions of hundreds of rounds, the gun is still well lubricated. I have also replaced Hoppes # 9 with Ed's Red which works fantastically. The recipe for that is on the Internet if you Google it. I used the complete formula with all ingredients. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to let me know.
    Walt

Posts liked by others
    Photos would be nice!

Posts liked by others
    just curious. what's the atf for? I do a similar mixture. and it works. but I just don't get the atf??

Posts liked by others
    ATF Dextron lll replaces the Whale oil used in the original WW ll arsenal solvent, do a google search for Ed's Red. There is a good article explaining the properties. ATF has replaced the Whale oil properties, but exceeded the original Whale oil properties. Whales are in short supply these days.
    Someone more curious about such matters than me has researched all this, I just tried it and am extremely pleased with it. I use the ATF in both Ed's Red Solvent, and the Mobile 1 lub formular.
    Google Ed's Red and it comes right up.
    Walt

Posts liked by others
    hi just a newbie here, but i've been reading lots of threads here in m1911 for a month now. is it ok to use mobil 1 alone for lube purposes only? when cleaning, i use wd40 to get rid of the grime and other residue, then i wipe it dry with clean cloth...

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    WD-40 : Water displacement (it removes water from the metal, that's what WD means). Not good on guns, it leaves a sticky residue when dry.

Better use some brake cleaner.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 2nd October 2007 at 00:22.

Posts liked by others
    Yikes! thanks john for the info re: WD40's, i've been using it for almost 6mos, hope it did'nt made any harm to my gun... how about plain mobil1 as lubricant? i find it thicker than other oil, and maintains its consistency even in high temp.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast