Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: MainSpring Housing swap and getting rid of the ILS - How to

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

MainSpring Housing swap and getting rid of the ILS - How to

I just finished changing my stock Springfield mainspring housing (with the internal locking system) for an Ed Brown MSH & Maxiwell. I consulted these boards before doing so and gained much useful information about how to do this. Several others expressed an interest as well, so I took photos of the entire process and hope it will act as a tutorial for others who wish to do the same operation. Here s a pic of the new piece that will be installed.

I followed the Springfield manual for removing the old MSH. I used a zip tie to hold the Grip safety but a good rubber band would work too. Cocking the hammer compresses the spring so you can insert the takedown pin in the hole.

Then let the hammer back down, and drive the MSH retainer pin out with a flat punch.

Once the pin is out, the old MSH will slide right out.

This view shows the old mainspring being held in place by the takedown pin.

Here's the new MSH/Magwell extension and it's new internals (mainspring, mainspring cap and mainspring cap retention pin and (not pictured) mainspring pin retainer.)

After giving the new parts a light coat of oil, I inserted them into the new housing and used a flat end punch to compress the spring to enable the insertion of the retaining pin.

The complete assembly can now be inserted back into the frame, being careful to make sure the hammer spur is lined up correctly and MSH retaining pin re-inserted.

I removed the zip tie, installed new Ebony Wood grips (flat bottom) and all done.
    It's not a sin to be ignorant, but it is to stay that way.
    It's better to remain silent and have people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and eliminate any doubt.
    Remember, you don't need to be able to run faster than the Bear, you only need to run faster than the guy with you!