Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Magazine Identification

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mec-Gar letter

I asked Mec-Gar if they were the G supplier or knew who was:

Posts liked by others
    Follow up question on cage codes:

19200-5508694-30745

I know that the "30745" denotes Mason Rust manufacture from around 1974 era. What do the first two sequences of numbers represent?
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I wonder if that doesn't denote that they are 7rnd magazines for the 1911A1, or something to that effect? I could swear Check Mate used that same number (5508694) with the listing of the 7 round magazines (their product page is unavailable currently).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Found the answer on jouster.com

19200=Federal Supply Code(basically what business category/budget does it fall under)

5508694=Part Number(assigned by government and would apply to all 7 round 1911 magazines)

30745=Cage Code(identifies manufacturer)
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others

Colt PT. F.A., Springfield Arsenal, American Pin.

Colt PT. F.A., Springfield Arsenal

Second major variation of Colt magazines called keyhole or punch and slot. The hole and slot were added to prevent cracking in the corners of the notch at the back of the magazine. A change of alloy for the material eliminated this necessity for the keyhole in later magazines.

A collector friend provided these excellent pictures of two of his keyhole magazines.

=====================================

Springfield Arsenal produced magazines prior to WWI that differed somewhat from Colt. Springfield magazines exhibit folded magazine tube bottoms with the baseplates attached by welding. The heat treatment method also differed giving original condition Springfield magazines a unique color and appearance.

These pictures show two different style baseplates, loop and no loop. No loop style came about with a Mar1916 dwg revision to eliminate the loop. These were the end of Springfield Arsenal production and relatively scarce compared to the loop style.

Vettepartz provided this photo showing some unique features of Springfield production. The copper braze area stopped carbon impingement which promoted brittleness and cracking at the rear of the magazine. Springfield production also featured two tone followers. I don't have proof but suspect these followers were tempered similar to the two tone magazines.

=======================================

Member Mexican Kerry graciously agreed to share this photo of a CAL . 455 ELEY magazine. This example also carries the pistol serial number.

Posts liked by others
    American Pin Company of Waterbury, CT produced magazines during WWI with pinned bases and two tone finish. The A is often partially struck or filled in to look more like a V. I have observed several shapes of letters but all Roman font (with serifs) and the letter base points toward the magazine body.

Photo by member Ray P.

==========================
    ==========================

Barnes & Kobert Manufacturing Company of New Britain, CT produced magazines during WWI with pinned bases and two tone finish. I have only observed Gothic font (without serifs) but have seen the letter base point either toward the magazine body or toward the magazine lip. This is the only WWI mfr I've seen which definitely stamped both directions.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent, thank you Doran.

And thank you Pappy.

Posts liked by others
    Pappy and Doran, thanks for the photos. Illustrations are always helpful.

I found out some more information on the Federal Supply Code at the beginning of the cage code.

19200, 19203 and 19204 = Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, IL

19207 = U.S. Army TACOM in Warren, MI(from notes on their website, they are part of the Army's R&D command and have some association with Rock Island Arsenal)

So to decode the magazine in Pappy's photo we have the following:

19204-Issued to Rock Island Arsenal
    5508694-7 round GI 1911 magazine
    1M291-Manufactured by Check-Mate

Posts liked by others
    That's some great info, Garrett.

Posts liked by others

M.S. Little

M.S. Little Manufacturing Company of Hartford, CT produced magazines during World War I and World War II.

World War I production with pinned baseplates and two tone finish. All I've seen have Gothic font style with the letter base pointed toward the magazine body. Two tone MS Little magazines in excellent condition are among the hardest to find in this area of the country.

Early World War II production with pinned baseplates, blue finish and Roman font style pointed toward the magazine body. There are also welded baseplates with this font style which I believe are early welded production as I have seen very few welded baseplates with the Roman font style.

Late World War II production with welded baseplates, blue finish and a return to the Gothic font style pointed toward the magazine body. These are the most commonly encountered MS Little magazines.

If anyone has variations of the MS Little magazines not shown I would appreciate pictures.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast