Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Links to some practice and training drills available on the 'net

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    True, but a head shot is easier to do in training than in reality. The head is a small and moving target. Also keep in mind that a head shot doesn't always equal a brain shot. There was a news story going on a while back about a gang banger who had a 9MM piece of evidence lodged in his forehead that the prosecutor was trying to get removed.
    Most things are easier done to paper than a screaming man hopped up on LSD running at you with a knife.

More incentive to use a .45ACP than 9mm
    Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits.
    Last edited by armedandfree; 26th July 2007 at 22:08.

Posts liked by others
    Here is another sight that has computer aided dryfire practice drills that I would like to add to this resource.

http://www.personaldefensetraining.c...et=dryfire.php
    irq23
    Member NRA
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for posting that irq. Dave Blinder's drills are pretty good stuff. If you really want to drive yourself crazy, try the Dot Torture.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others

Talking

Thanks so much garrett for the Handgunlaw link! I have always been looking for this type of information, but never really found it. I was thinking of looking for books too, do you know of any that are good in explaining state laws?
    I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. - Psalms 44:6-7

Posts liked by others
    CMDB, there is only one book that I know of. It's called "Concealed Carry in the 50 states" or something like that. You can usually find it at the gunshow.

The problem with books is that the gun laws change so often that by the time it goes to press it's out of date. The best sources besides Handgun Law are the Attorney General and Legislature sites for the individual states.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Check out the Bloomfield Press website: http://www.gunlaws.com/. They publish and sell a variety of books on the gun law of a number of states. Some important things to keep in mind: as Garrett mentioned, gun laws change often; every state is different; and there's always room for interpretation, but it's best to be conservative since it's better to be able to avoid a problem than to simply be confident you can "beat the rap" after spending tens of thousands of dollars (or more) of your hard earned money.

As I recall, Bloomfield Press is pretty good about updating their books frequently to keep up with changes in the law. Of course, that means that you need to check for new editions regularly and resolve to buy new editions to keep up with changes as the editions you may have become obsolete.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    The problem with books is that the gun laws change so often that by the time it goes to press it's out of date. The best sources besides Handgun Law are the Attorney General and Legislature sites for the individual states.
    I guess I should keep that in mind, but I wanted to keep one in the car/home for a reference. Thanks!

And thanks for the video Hunter!
    I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. - Psalms 44:6-7
    Last edited by CMDB; 15th December 2007 at 21:43.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234