Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Problem with Firestorm Govt Model FSGM

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    If the hammer falls with the thumb safety engaged, then obviously the thumb safety does not block the sear enough to forbid every movement. Take off the grip safety and reassemble the gun. Now you can work that thumb safety and see how much gap there is between it and the sear, when it is in the upper position. If it is very very little, you can peen the safety so that it blocks the sear completely, if it is significant (the gap) then you need a new safety.

As for the grip safety, you can do the same thing. Disassemble the gun and reassemble it but without the sear/disconnector. Just the trigger. Then insert the grip safety and secure it on the frame by inserting the thumb safety from the RIGHT side of the frame, not from the left. With a powerful light, you can now peek through the thumb safety's opening and see how far away the grip safety's tongue is from the rear of the trigger. If it is a very little, you can peen the tongue. If it is too much, you need a new grip safety.

It looks as if whoever took away your gun didn't want the safeties working properly.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Don't wait for it to fail!

Since my last posting, I've encountered eight more pistols of the Llama/Firestorm Family with this exact same problem. I've also noted that most of the sears were chipped at the engagement-point, permitting only 40-50% contact with the hammer. It seems that, even when brand-new, the fit of the safety-lock (a.k.a. "thumb safety"), sear and grip safety is just this side of a train wreck, so with a little wear (or maybe even just a harsh glance), the fit goes sloppy. Peening is at best only a temporary fix, as the part(s) were obviously too soft to begin with. What I've discovered is that using actual Colt's parts (or a REALLY good clone's), seems to be the best permanent fix. While most of the parts I have replaced were "drop-ins", a few required a bit of fitting, so they should only be installed by a gunsmith, or by someone seriously familliar with the M1911/1911A1-system.

In short, Folks, if you've got one of these pistols, don't wait for it to fail. Replace the safety-lock (a.k.a. "thumb safety"), and sear straightaway, then have the gunsmith check the grip safety for tolerances. If it's dicey, change that as well. If you don't own one of these guns, but are thinking about buying one, keep all that has been said close to mind. As my Old Sea-dog of a Dad used to say; "If you bought it cheap...then it's cheap, ain't it..."

Al

Posts liked by others
    thank you for the info! there is too much clearence in both parts to function. it seems odd to me how it got that way, maybe ill know more when i get brave enough to take the sear out. i cant see any signs of filing or grinding on these parts. i only know it wasnt like this back in 02 when it was stolen. i used to check the safteys regularly.-phil

Posts liked by others
    the issues you have are not uncommon for that manufacture.

Not to worry about taking it apart. It is really easy.

Check the Q& A section for the site - there should be some help for how to disassemble the pistol.

Follow John's instructions. With the grip safety off and put the pistol back together (without the grip safety) you can see where the sear engages the thumb saftey. It should NO GAPS. As John said if SMALL gap you can put the thumb safety in a vice and peen it -

Or just spend the few bucks and get a replacement thumb safety.

UMMMM
    If it were me - I would get the Chip McCormick Sear - disconnector - thumb saftey - hammer kit and replace all the ingnition parts. The sear could be out of spec as well. I would not TRUST any of the ingnition parts at this point.

Posts liked by others
    Your are welcome, Phil. The problem may have developed simply because the shrub who stole your pistol shot it a lot. I've also had some rough expiriences with the police. Many years ago, several guns were stolen in a smash-and-grab from my store. A local dectective for whom I had done work (deactivating guns to be used in drug-stings, etc.), came in and told me that another department had recovered them, telling me to get down there and claim them before they were cut-up. I found that the guns had been in their property-room for several months, and, that they had been regularly shooting them at their indoor range (including a once-mint Colt's WWII Commemorative!). So any number of factors might account for your pistol getting sloppy over the last few years. As for disassembly, you can find a mil-spec manual for the 1911 (it's pretty close to the Llama), as well as going to Numrich's website in order to have a look at the Llama's exploded view to see the differences between your pistol and the Colt. Good luck and good shooting to you!

Al

Posts liked by others
    hi folks, i finaly got the time to strip the llama completly and here's the problem. the sear is chipping away at the edge were it contacts the hammer, as it does this it rotates further to stay in contact with the hammer and the bottom of the sear keeps getting further forward. its now forward enough so the saftey can no longer block its movement. there must be some free play in the trigger cause it took it forward with it untill the grip saftey also couldnt work. im hopeing my new extractor will be here this week, and i intend to get it fitted and tested out saturday. if the pistol works well enough for some range fun, ill order some sear parts. i have zero money so i cant buy parts i dont have to have! anybody got a sear they want to donate?-phil

Posts liked by others
    Well Phil
    If the sear is worn - guess what I would bet money that the hammer sear face is warn as well.

The pistol is unsafe.

You may need to replace all the parts. check out Brownells for a kit.

Posts liked by others
    Longslide is absolutely correct. Your sear and hammer are toast. Replace them with new parts. Do NOT attempt to fire this weapon before EVERYTHING has been checked-out by a professional gunsmith. This may seem a bit extreme, but we don't know what other gremlins your pistol may have inherited while out of your posession. I am NOT being an 'expert', I am just trying to make sure that you don't injure yourself or others. Pistols can be replaced...you can't.

Posts liked by others
    does anybody know of a good smith close to valdosta georgia?

Posts liked by others

Talking

ok guy's my llama is now sporting a new colt hammer, sear, and disconnect. the safteys went right back to working. the smith said the sear was the whole saftey problem, and he said the sear was made out of inferior material and caused the problem. still waiting on a extractor.-phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast