Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Problem with Firestorm Govt Model FSGM

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Safety Problem with Firestorm Govt Model FSGM

I've been a gunsmith for 30+ years, and suddenly I am inflicted with 2 late-model LLamas with the same problem. Cocked and locked, pull the trigger and the hammer and safety drops. Whats up? Can anyone help an old 1911-driver?

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Obviously the sear is not blocked completely by the thumb safety. So when you press the trigger, the sear moves away from the hammer hooks, the hammer falls and as it falls it pushed the safety to the off position. Get a new thumb safety and fit it properly to the pistol.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Well, I was hoping for a little more than the obvious, although I appreciate the advice. I have already fixed the problem on both guns. I was wondering WHY I suddenly had 2 in a row. Has somebody at LLama/Firestorm dropped the ball? Has anyone ELSE had this same problem? Should we start red-flagging this model?

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but not everyone who asks a question here has the experience to solve this problem, and the fact you did mention you are a smith doesn't necessarily mean you are experienced in the 1911.

In any case, aren't the Llamas out of production? If so, maybe a colleague has "treated" those pistols before you? I do not know if they were new or what.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    John you nailed it. Thumb safety on - pull the trigger - hammer fall, bad fit on the saftey to the sear. Solution - new thumb safety. Properly fitted of course!

Posts liked by others
    I already repaired both guns by using Colt's safety-locks. I called another smith and asked if he had seen the same problem with Firestorms (which these both were), and he told me that he had, and had repaired them the same way that I did. I was just wondering if this is a problem common to Firestorms and Llamas as ex-Llama machinery was used to build the Firestorm. I guess I screwed-up trying to post this earlier (anything more technologically advanced that that nifty little light that comes on when you open the refrigerator door throws me). Thanks again.

Al

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    What's the situation with those pistols? Can they still be found new in the market? If so, maybe we could make this is sticky, so new owners can be aware of the problem and test their pistols? What's the exact model in which you noticed this issue?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    I guess I was a little unclear in my very first posting, clearly my fault. Most thought that I was looking for a cure when I already had one. At any rate, the pistol in question is the Firestorm Govt Model FSGM, which is a Llama-style upgrade of the Model XI. It is a single action M1911A1 knock-off in .45 cal. What I was trying to figure out amongst fellow members here was how many OTHER gunsmiths like myself have encountered this exact problem with the Firestorm. One customer said that his gun worked fine for awhile, then noticed the problem as he was demonstrating the carry-cocked-and-locked-safety-advantages of the Browning design. Woops! Down dropped the safety and the hammer with it! The other client told me that his did it right out of the box, but didn't want to bother with the warranty so had me drop a Colt's safety-lock into his gun straightaway, as I did with the first customer. They required no fitting whatsoever. My buddy has had three of these SAME Firestorm Govt Models show up, all with the SAME problem. He fixed them the same way that I did. Only one required fitting, the other two dropped right in. These were all standard Colt's Govt Model Safety Locks (now called thumb safeties, but that's how old I am), not extended, which are VERY difficult to fit in order to get around the Firestorm's rather plump PLASTIC, screw-in plunger-tube (which commonly shoots loose after a hundred rounds or so...at least the old Llamas had steel ones that you could actually tighten a bit). Anyhow, THIS was the substance I screwed-up in getting across with my first postings...again, MY fault.

Have a merry and safe Christmas, Folks! And, just maybe, I'll be a little better at posting my stuff in the future!

Al

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    No problem. I edited this thread title and made it a sticky, so that others can spot it easily.

And thanks for your wishes, appreciated. Mine and those of the rest of the crew, are already posted in the front page of our sites.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

Thumbs down

hi folks, i just tested my Llama IXA for this. this is the pistol just returned to me, that was stolen back in 2002. it never did this before,but is does now! with the saftey on, it will drop the hammer and saftey when the trigger is pulled. it will also do the same without the grip saftey pushed in. im not a smith but i dont see any wear or mods to the saftey or the grip saftey. it must be in deeper, maybe the sear.--phil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast