Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman vs Gerber

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I broke my first leatherman PST in half cutting barbwire! Since then I've worn out two waves(the hinge on the plier simply wears out)- the good news is all I do is send it for warranty and they repair it and send it back! I use this tool at least 6-8 times a day (and sometimes very roughly)- I could not imagine being without one.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    I broke my first leatherman PST in half cutting barbwire! Since then I've worn out two waves(the hinge on the plier simply wears out)- the good news is all I do is send it for warranty and they repair it and send it back! I use this tool at least 6-8 times a day (and sometimes very roughly)- I could not imagine being without one.
    your statament tells it all about leatherman there that good-Bill

Posts liked by others

Leatherman...cheap?

Ignoring the ridiculous politics already posted regarding this tool...here's a web-retailer that has been selling Leatherman tools at a large discount and has only a few models left...they are top-notch, quality tools that will last a lifetime:

http://www.northwestpowertools.com/t...leatherman.htm
    Go To: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Handgunandcombatgunpics

"Lord, save me from your followers!"

Ruokangas!!!

Posts liked by others
    Hmmm....This is a difficult one as both are very high quality, but I do prefer my Gerber over my Leatherman because of the one handed operation, however the Gerber has broke several times and been replaced when performing the same operations as the Leatherman which has never broke. Although they neither one are intended for extended fence maintenance use I had to try anyways.

Posts liked by others

Multitools

I carry a Victorianox now every day. I bought my own at A$120.00 then 6 months later got one army issue I shouldn't complain though at least the Army is issueing decent gear. Back to the point, it has seveal advantages over the old Gerber slide out it replaced. I don't need to open the pliers to use a tool. It is also extremely strong. Before we had these issue, guys in my Reserve unit had examples from almost ever company. I saw two Gerbers break (snapped off one plier jaw) a 'Stainless' Leatherman rust and various other 'failures'. The Victorianox I've had for almost 2yrs still very sharp and the only maintenance I've done is a little silicone spray(doesn't attract dust like oil or WD40) to lube the hinges.
    Will post a pic soon.

Posts liked by others

Gerber breakage

I'm really interested in these instances of Gerbers shearing plier jaws. Were these the cast or forged jaws? I'm not sure when or why they switched. I haven't been very impressed with what I've seen lately. The one I have is their original design with forged plier jaws, and it's parkerized over stainless. I've used it mercileesly, on an almost daily basis, for 10 years or so. I've applied ungodly force to it, and beat it with a hammer to get some things loose. I can't imagine what it would take to break it. If the failures you guys mention are with the cast ones, then I'm really glad I have the old one!
    Paul X. Danner
    NRA Life Member
    Email me

Posts liked by others
    Leatherman is all I own.

Posts liked by others

Leatherman

Leatherman is all I own. I wish it had a tool lock and it doesn't hold an edge well.
    However it is very tough!

Posts liked by others
    I just broke my second Gerber a couple of minutes ago. The first one I broke, was the screwdriver tool when I was trying to pry open my fuse box which had been painted shut. The second one, I broke off one of the pliers... (don't ask). I think I'm going to take Mr. Victorianox's advice...I've never owned a leatherman either, but I don't think I'm going back to Gerber, even though I liked the locking function on the handles...

Posts liked by others
    I have both Leatherman and Gerber in various sizes. I like the one handed opening of the Gerber to use their pliers so I carry that one on duty both. But it was extremely difficult to cut wire fencing with. I carry the Leatherman that has a pocket clip on it, for day-to-day stuff. The pocket clip is great and low profile but the blade did not hold an edge for very long. Other Leatherman's I just leave in the pouch and keep in my trucks. I would like to try the Gerber D.E.T model but not willing to spend the money.
    Now the Victronox may be in the picture
    Psalms 144:1 "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle..."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast