Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman vs Gerber

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Leatherman vs Gerber

I own several of each. My first was a knock off called a handy hannah , looked like a Leatherman PST, purchased through LL Bean , 22 yrs ago, carried it for years , until it broke, cutting hardened stainless rod for spear fishing guns. The I bought a PST and carried it up to today. I have 2 PST a Wave, and losts of the American camper cheapos, ( for tossing in the truck, loaning to people etc.) and now that the Gerber slide out tool is only 15.00 bucks at walmart I am buying them until they run out.

I used my Leatherman Wave daily for 5 years, working on computers and networks ( yep Im a computer geek --- 260 lb ex army airborne computer geek.) I recently bought the new entry model of the PST with plastic finger grooves, but I still prefer my WAVE.

I have added the Gerbers since 15.00 dollars versus the original 79.99 is a good deal and it is a good tool.

Any body else have any they like?
    Gun Control :: Being able to repeatedly hit your intended target. 1911..... is there anything else?

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Can't say I have a great experience with anyone of those toys. I owned the initial Leatherman, not used much but I still have it, and it is in good shape. Then I got a Wave, still fine, not used much at all.

The good thing for you guys, is that I am waiting for a new one to come to me, which is supposed to have something for us 1911 lovers on it. It should arrive in a few days, so I'll let you all know.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

WOUld you want to try a Gerber, John?

Hey John

I like this forum. I can possibly scroung up another gerber if you want to do a test and post your findings.

Rusty
    Gun Control :: Being able to repeatedly hit your intended target. 1911..... is there anything else?

Posts liked by others
    Tim Leatherman's politics

Money spent on Leatherman products helps support the Democratic Party's agenda which is anti-gun (public knowledge).

-- Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck S; 26th March 2005 at 18:49. Reason: Delete the dots someone inserted.....

Posts liked by others

Gerber and new "Leatherman" toys

I just call them all "Leatherman's" kind of like all circular saws are "Skillsaws" - But the Gerber tools seem to be much better quality. The new models actually lock the handles in place so you can use the pliars, unlike the 1.99 specials and original Leatherman tools. I saw one with a little claw-hammer on the end yesterday at the Sportsman. Not sure what one does with a three-ounce hammer on the end of a folding pocket knife, but it sure looked neat.

There are multiples of the cheap ones among my tackle boxes and camping gear. Even fixed a Mossburg shotgun with one while dove hunting. (The Mossburg was then ground in half and thrown in the trash when I returned home, but that's besides the point. Anyone need a 12Ga barrel for one? Only used one day -- What could be better than that?)

Did I hear a hint of a 1911 owner's Leatherman in this thread? Hmmm . . .
    N7CAV, trooper
    Loren B. Cobb

Posts liked by others

Gerber for me

I've carried my Gerber for many years. My main preference for it over the Leatherman style is that I can open and use the Gerber with one hand. Since I only have one good hand, that's kinda handy. The other hand is attached to what's left of this, and it's not really useful outside of holding things for my good hand to work on.

My Gerber is one of the original design with forged jaws, and held together with rond head internal hex driven screws. One of my friends has a newer one with cast jaws, held together with little clips. I'll keep the old one.
    Paul X. Danner
    NRA Life Member
    Email me
    Last edited by PaulX608; 16th January 2005 at 00:48.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I never say no to an opportunity to test new things.

If you can get one my way, I'll be happy to put it through its paces. With the twins starting to destroy things, there is always something that needs to be fixed.

Email me for address.

Rgds & tnx
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    yup, Tim Leatherman went public with his support for the Kerry campaign. Worse, he put his COMPANY up as supporting Kerry instead of just using his name. He's been paying a price for that support (if the internet scuttlebut is true) from all the boycotts of his products. I used to own several Leatherman tools...I sold 'em on Ebay. They make great tools, and I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on a quality tool...but Tim Leatherman (and therefore Kerry) already made a profit off of me and I didn't want to see anyone else contributing to the Looney Left so I provided a few tools and Timmy won't see a dime from those sales . I used the proceeds to purchase a couple of Schrade Tough Tools from a local pawn shop. They were discontinued some years back, so they're hard to find, but I absolutely LOVE mine. Much more comfortable to use the pliers than the leatherman tool because the blades open from the side of the handle instead of out the top. I haven't had much opportunity to abuse them yet, but they seem very robust. I keep one on my boat, and one in my range bag.

Posts liked by others
    I love my leatherman Wave. My buddy has a Gerber and it is just as nice.

I am disappointed to hear that the company's founder is a lib. It would be interesting to know the political make up of Gerber's parent company, Fiskars. They are from Finland.
    Have a great day!
    Mark
    NRA Life Member
    VFW

If you don't have time to do it right; when will you have time to do it over?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    I love my leatherman Wave. My buddy has a Gerber and it is just as nice.

I am disappointed to hear that the company's founder is a lib. It would be interesting to know the political make up of Gerber's parent company, Fiskars. They are from Finland.
    you should put your money on a leatherman i have one-Bill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast