Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Link Fitting - Voice of Experience Needed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Thanks

Thanks, Tuner. The barrel has dropped fully by 1/4 inch of slide movement. The gun unlocks smoothly when held upside down also. Your description of the details of barrel crashing sure gives me the shudders - definitely don't want that!

I originally thought that achieving a good solid barrel fit was the result of careful measuring and planning. This time, at least, things sort of "fell" into place in some areas, and had some unpredictable outcomes in others. Part of the learning process, I guess.

-Lazarus
    "Do not fix that which is not broken."

Posts liked by others

Havin' a Fit

Excellent! Ya got lucky.

The #5 link is .290 center-to-center, and it's apparently timing the barrel drop correctly. What I glean from that is...Your slide is sitting .012 inch higher than the top of mid-spec from the slidestop crosspin hole. Vertical tolerance stacks will do that sometimes, and I've seen worse...much worse.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 24th November 2006 at 16:50.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    So what's the verdict on this?

When (and if) I fit a barrel in a pistol, what do I have to do? Strive for maximum interference between the slide and barrel lugs and riding the slide stop shaft, then find the proper link to bring the barrel down and from then on adjust anything that needs to be adjusted like the VIS or the barrel legs?

Or shall I start with the standard link and see what I get with it?

Puzzled!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Another Barrel Fitting Question

Add this question to those by John in Post #13 of this thread: If a new barrel is going to be fitted in a 1911 that has had its rails and barrel bed lowered about 0.010 inch, what changes (if any) need to be made to the normal barrel fitting procedure?

Posts liked by others

Not so fast

John and Niemi, I think you are jumping past a few steps. There is a logical order to the fitting process and decisions have to be made along the way, instead of all at the beginning.

Going for maximum upper lug engagement is a good place to start, but be prepared to improvise and remember to go slow. Kuhnhausen describes a nifty tool made from a scrap barrel that will give you the ability to measure from b.f. to lug surfaces - so if you've got the tools, that may be a place to start. Without a special tool of some kind, you are going to be eyeballing this measurement, using Cerrosafe, or modeling clay to get a grip on whether the lugs are equalizing. Here are a couple things to keep in mind while fitting the upper lugs.

a). Don't forget to make your "sloppy fit" bushing and use it during the fitting process. Otherwise you will have no idea what the barrel is really doing.
    b). Remember that the barrel cants upward at the rear when in battery, relative to the slide. That means that initially you will have a very thin line of contact between the slide lugs and the the barrel recesses, (in the vertical dimension). So if you are looking for full contact, the barrel recesses have to be cut at a slight angle to the barrel axis. Machinist ink or felt marker will be of little use here because there is no relative movement to make a mark. So modelling clay or hi spot may do the job for you.
    c). Keep an eye on the hood area just behind the #1 lug face. The barrel won't be able to move upward any more if that area is already touching the upper inside surface of the slide.
    d). All the while, you must stop and check the relationship between the firing pin port and the chamber. Punch out a primer from a spent case, put the case in the barrel and look through the firing pin hole toward a bright light. That relationship will tell you when your vertical lug fitting is done.

So, let's assume that your firing pin is centered on the chamber and you have achieved a respectable amount of vertical engagement. Now is when you have a look at whether your barrel has enough clearance with the slide to link down. Then, lock the barrel, without link, into the slide with your nifty locking tool. Use a Wilson lug cutter if you really must or hand fit the barrel lower lug so that the barrel stands firmly on the slide stop, and so that the slide is near to the in-battery horizontal position.

Only now is when you break out the links and see which one will fit without compromising the hard vertical lockup you have achieved. Only now is when you scope out some of the other dimensional problems that need attention like the barrel bed, VIS, and ramp. That is, of course, my 2 cents worth on doing things by hand. You won't be making any money this way, that is for certain. I'm leaving the slide about .100" from fully forward, thinking that a few rounds at the range may take up some of the slack here. As the slide settles in a little at a time I now see that the #4 link will work ok. Guess I got a little ahead of myself trying for a Les Baer "press fit".

That's the story.
    -Lazarus

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Not that I am going to be fitting any barrels any time soon, but thanks for this, I appreciate it. Good tutorial.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

Give it a try

I encourage you to take the plunge. I'm certain you can do better than 90% of the guns that are currently available, and if you fail miserably there is still your old barrel waiting as a backup...

-L

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    It's not easy to get barrels here, it requires a special import license and then it is written in the same license with your guns. Don't confuse good old US with Greece!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

Corrections Applied!

Haste and cranial flatulence have struck again, I fear.

I posted that the #5 link is .281 inch C/C length. That started as a typo, and I estimated the other dimensions from that same typo, for some obscure reason...My bad. I've corrected it.

Bear with me, gents. It's been a long week...

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I know what your problem is, I haven't packed and send Lena over yet, so you are kind of anxious.

John Caradimas SV1CEC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast