Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowering Frame Bed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    gbw,

Sounds like the 0.330 radii of your slide, as it moves rearward, is contacting the underside of the barrel to force it upwards. See Kuhnhausen, Vol 2, p.191 which shows this problem and suggests to either relieve slide radii downward or file the bottom portion of barrel.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, CJR, that's also occurred to me - I think I mentioned it earlier. Anyhow I'll be checking that tonight.

Updates in the morning, and I'll try for photos.

Meantime, honorable (??) grasshopper ain't cut nuthin yet, else it would be seppuku (mixed cultures, I know - Confucious Chinese, seppuku Japanese, Tunefucious NorthCarolinaese, gbw Mississippiese, ad nauseaum).

Posts liked by others

Slide Bore

Possibly the slide bore, or a tolerance stack between that and the barrel diameter. A quick check is to get the barrel in the slide...bushing installed...allow the barrel to drop and move it forward a little into about the same position it would be at roughly a half-inch out of battery. Look at the linkdown/drop clearance at the top of the barrel. Is it more than when the barrel and slide were on the frame...or is it about the same?

Posts liked by others
    I've built a few Caspian/Caspian/Kart guns over the past few years. Each one required lowering the frame bed .005"-.010".
    Seems the slide bores are a bit tight as well. With just barrel, bushing and slide it seems the barrel only wants to drop with .010" clearance from the slide.
    Be careful not to mis-interpret the slide clearance issue with the frame bed. You can lower the frame bed too far, and still not get the clearance you were looking for.
    I use a vertical mill and a custom ground .700" end mill. I suppose it could be done with a Dremel, Dykem and a lot of patience.
    Caspians are nice but they are not Colts. Subtle geometrical differences can turn what should have been an easy build, into a trial by frustration. I have no idea how that internet Caspian build class copes with the anamolies. That they can do it at all is rather surprising!

Posts liked by others
    Thanks. I do also have the slide bore / barrel clearance problem to deal with (see above), but I don't think it's the main factor for now...but I'm not positive yet, and I'll be checking this along with the other tests Tuner has been so helpful with.

For anyone who's interested, I'm working Mr. 1911Tuner's notes in the sticky sections, and from the Schuemann Barrel writeup on barrel / frame / slide fitting and timing. Both are priceless.

Posts liked by others

re:

Lub...Think mayhaps the mating of the Caspian frame and the Colt slide could be creating a "Stack Factor" here?

.010 inch from a Caspian frame bed? Whew!

BTW...You just ID-ed ya bad ol' self.

Posts liked by others
    Tuner,
    Read again.
    Caspian frame
    Caspian slide
    Kart barrel

And no, I am not 'outed'.

Posts liked by others

re:

Quote Originally Posted by Lubaloy
    Tuner,
    Read again.
    Caspian frame
    Caspian slide
    Kart barrel

And no, I am not 'outed'.
    I meant the original poster. Opening statement, he wrote:

>I'm looking for suggestions, guys. I'm building the 2nd gun of a second set of matched pairs. This is a Caspian frame, Colt 80 slide, Kart NM barrel.<

Outed? Ya may be and just don't know it yet....but me lips is glued shut.

Posts liked by others
    Tuner I always enjoy reading your posts and could probably never cease to learn from them.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Eh? I'm the Orig. Poster and if I was hiding anything I'm not sure what it could be. In any event I'm very grateful for all the suggestions. I WISH i had a mill, custom cutters, and the skill to use it - sadly I've none of the 3! Much measuring / checking to do tonite!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast