Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Spring Function

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Thanks and thanks also for the great posts you've put on here. I've learned a lot reading them.

jdilks Guest

I was reading on one of the forums, that the Springfield Professional Model uses an 18lb recoil-spring. If that's true, then my question is: WHY?

Posts liked by others

Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jdilks
    I was reading on one of the forums, that the Springfield Professional Model uses an 18lb recoil-spring. If that's true, then my question is: WHY?

Howdy jdlks, and welcome aboard.

Not sure, but in my opinion a 5-inch gun with an 18-pound spring is oversprung unless heavy bullet handloads are in the plans. I've only seen one Pro in private hands, and the guy acted like it was the Holy Grail...He
    got itchy if anybody even looked at it sideways, so I didn't ask to examine it.
    Ah well...

Cheers! and Merry Christmas

jdilks Guest

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Posts liked by others

Recoil Spring

1911Tuner,

I like your your suggestion for replacing recoil spring and locking the slide back over night, I'm going to try that one the next time I change recoil spring.

jdilks Guest

This is the reply that I received from Springfield:

Jeff,

The Springfield Professional model ships from the factory with an 18.5 lb. Wolff recoil spring.

Our custom technicians have always recommended using the heaviest weight recoil spring in the 1911-A1 pistol which will still allow it to function correctly. With the ammo specified by the FBI (Remington Golden Saber 230 gr.), the 18.5 lb. recoil spring was the best for the situation.

Thanks for your comments on the pistol! If you have other questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to contact me at any time.

Deb
    Custom Shop Coordinator
    Springfield Custom
    420 West Main St.
    Geneseo, IL 61254
    800-680-6866
    customshop@springfield-armory.com

Posts liked by others

I think I understand less...

...now than I did before I read all this!

My 2003 Springfield 1911 is just an A-1, not a professional. What weight spring should I use as replacement? Let's assume it's a Wolf from Brownell''s...what #? Any thoughts?
    Go To: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Handgunandcombatgunpics

"Lord, save me from your followers!"

Ruokangas!!!

Posts liked by others
    Hello Tuner! Your adressing all the 20pounds spring - users got me: i DO use a 20 spring, and i am very happy with it! my SA 1911 only works with this and a stronger mag spring. The gun did nothing but jam (Ammo: IMI hardball) which nearly made me cry. A new gun, hardball ammo and nothing but trouble. but the IMI seem to be on the hot side of standard, so mostly the last cartridge got stuck between slide an barrel VERTICALLY! Also the recoil felt like a hammer blowing at the front of the gun, there was nothing soft in this recoil. so teh only cure i could think about was a stronger recoil spring (i know this is the uncorrect expression, but you americans seem to use it as standard. We Germans, correct as always, call it "Schließfeder", directly translated as "Closing spring" ;-) ) and stronger mag spring. after polishing nearly every part of that ****** gun it agreed to run without problems. bout 1000 round with just 1 hickup that i blamed on the ammo, recoil felt a bit strange/ weak! So are all the 20-pounders wrong?

Posts liked by others

All Wrong?

Guten morgen Herr carsten,

On the recoil spring being an incorrect term...yep. Technically it shouild
    be referred to as an action spring or even a feeding spring...but with Americans, once a word or phrase has caught on, it's nearly impossible to
    correct it. Sorta like using the term: "Motor oil" when referring to a lubricant
    in an automobile engine.

On the 20-pound spring being too much...Yep. If the gun is right, it should operate with a 10-pound spring. If it requires a 20-pound spring to feed and return to battery...somethin's wrong. Whenever I tweak a 1911 for reliability,
    my litmus test is to remove the recoil system,,,action spring and all...insert a
    fully loaded magazine...and hand feed the top three rounds by pushing on the slide with the tip of one finger. If it hangs up, I keep tweakin'.

If you're using "hot" ammo...220-grain/900 fps or 220-grain/930fps, you may
    want to step up to an 18-pound spring to reduce recoil impact shock...but you're doing so at the expense of the lower barrel lug and the slidestop crosspin. With standard, USGI Hardball-spec ammo...or a 230-grain bullet at about 830 fps, a 16-pound spring is a gracious plenty.

Your vertical cartridge jam was caused by the magazine spring being too slow to keep up with the slide. That nearly always occurs on the last round. That's known as a "Bolt Over Base" or "Rideover Feed" and two things cause it...Either the slide isn't making full travel in recoil, (Short cycle) or the
    magazine spring is too weak to get the last round into position before the
    slide gets past it. In any event, the breechface catches the round in the extractor groove (Bolt-Over-Base) or farther forward on the side of the case.(Rideover Feed) The Bolt-Over pushes the butt-end of the round down and the nose goes up. The Rideover Feed doesn't get the round out of the magazine, but rather rams it into the feed ramp and leaves an ugly scrape on the side of the case.

Luck!
    Tuner

Posts liked by others

Question What about the hard kicking recoil/ Breech really slamming?

Hello Tuner!

thanks for your fast reply! but i still have 1 question: what about the "kicking" instead of "pushing" recoil? To me it dindt feel right, not because of the strength but the "quickness" of the impulse, meaning the slide really battering the frame on its way back. it felt lots worse than a 4" revolver in .357. How to cure this problem otherwise than a stronger recol spring or cooler ammo? i rather change a slidestop crosspin every some-1000 rounds than have the frame battered!?!? and many people advise against shock buffs and the like. The IMI ammo is a bit hotter than standard GI but only about 5 %. Standard Gi-loads do also work with this spring combination! but nevertheless, if i could change to 16 pounds, i would be happy, cause racking the slide with 20 pounds doesnt feel smooth, its hard work. Me being a lefty, i always have trouble in pushing up the slidestop with the thumb of the (right) hand i am pulling back the slide.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast