Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Magazine Function: The Dimple

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Why ask Why

Howdy Nathan,

Please note a point that I've made several times...and one that has been born out by experience with these and several other magazine designs.

Just because the gun is functioning, it's no guarantee that it is functioning correctly. A 1911 pistol that is properly set up will usually force the extractor hook to climb the case rim and return to battery, thus giving no indication that anything is wrong for a long time...until the extractor stops working or breaks. The 1911 is a controlled-feed design, and was never intended to do that. The dimple was out there to prevent the push-feed
    and resultant extractor snapover on the critical last round. When it's removed, either by design or mill file...a very important part of the design is
    compromised.

Remember: When one thing is changed, it has an effect on more functions than one...and usually not for the good.

Cheers all!

Tuner

Posts liked by others
    Thanks. . .uhhh. . .I mean no dimple.

Posts liked by others
    1911tuner

I agree that a 1911 can operate pretty good out of time. I'm just saying that maybe there is a way to achieve this without the dimple. While I'm not 100% sure, because I don't have a high speed camera, I'm as sure as I can be the my rounds are sliding under the extractor hook. They do at all visable speeds, easily I might add. Is it possible, that there is another way?

Posts liked by others

Under the Hook

Howdy Nathan,

No doubt that the rounds are feeding correctly when you hand-cycle the gun, even if you let the slide snap forward on the last round. The inertial forces generated during recoil aren't in play, and the last round won't ride forward in the magazine, and the last round is the fly in the ointment, because spring tension is at a minimum. The dimple imposes a physical
    obstruction to the movement.

If you'll forget the misleading term "Smooth Function" when you consider the
    cycle of the pistol...especially in .45 caliber...and understand that it's a fairly violent, slam-bang affair, the dimple will begin to make more sense.

If you want to see if there's evidence of a push-feed, check your fired brass for small burrs right on the edges of the rims of the cases. The ding behind the burr will be more rounded than the ejector mark that is on the opposite side. If you see the burr...you've got a push-feed.

Luck!

Tuner

Posts liked by others

Red face Follower Dimple

Tuner,
    I have decided to take a huge center punch and put dimples in every one of my followers.If a little is good alot must be better. I am just kidding but thankyou for explaining in plain English why it was put there. Keep up the good forums. You have been a good help to all of us. Curt in Washington State

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up I like dimples;)

I have some mags with plastic followers & someone went to the trouble to make a place for & put small ball bearings where the dimple should be. My SA mags don't have dimples, but soon will.

The great Mr. Browning is one of my hero's along with Harry Pope & Mr. Kalashnakov. (Pardon the spelling)

Dear Mr. Tuner - Thanks you for yet another important lesson!

Posts liked by others

superb info

Mr. Tuner,

Have been reading with great interest. Could someone simply add a dimple with a punch like cotton jokes? Do Wilson mags have dimples on them?

Also, has your uncle ever told you that the front site of a pistol needs to be there? LoL
    Have a great day!
    Mark
    NRA Life Member
    VFW

If you don't have time to do it right; when will you have time to do it over?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Mr. Tuner,

Do Wilson mags have dimples on them?
    No. Not mine at least.

Posts liked by others

Wilson Mags

santa asked:
    >Could someone simply add a dimple with a punch like cotton jokes? Do Wilson mags have dimples on them?<

Nope. The dimple is a punch and die operation. Just using a punch would
    deform the top of the follower.

Wilson 47D magazines(8-round) don't have one. Earlier 47s (7-round) had a
    ball bearing that appeared to have served the same purpose...except that it was in the wrong place, (Located too far rearward) and it was too large.

Posts liked by others

Lightbulb If I make a Die?

Dear Mr Tuner

If I make a casting of each side of the folower with 'cero metal', making a die set. Then drilling one side using the dimple as a center mark. Then using that hole with transfer punch to make the dimple. (I will get the operations in the correct order in actal ractce Will this be close enough to get the placement correct?

Thanks - jim

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast