Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Recoil

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Recoil

After a recent unsuccessful attempt at trying to explain to several people exactly what recoil is...how it happens...and how it operates the 1911 and other short recoil operated pistols...I thought I might do this for ya'll. Some have the mistaken idea that the bullet moving forward,and nothing more, causes recoil to occur, It doesn't. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty surprised at the number of people who believe just that. Experienced and knowledgeable people!

Here's the skinny. Recoil "happens" because two objects are being pushed...or pulled...in opposite directions by a force. In order for mass to move, a force must be imposed on that object that is greater then the object's resistance to acceleration...whether that resistance comes from inertia or friction...force must be applied.

The slide has mass. The bullet has mass. (Other factors are also involved in the resistance of both to acceleration, but we won't go into that.) Both must be forced to move. The only force available in a gun is pressure that comes from the expanding gasses that are released by the burning powder. The same mechanism that drives the slide in a straight blowback pistol also drive the slide in the recoil-operated pistol. The only difference is that...in the recoil-operated pistol...the slide takes the barrel rearward with it for a short distance, and then drops it when the barrel drops. There's no other way for it to work. Recoil is NOT a force. Recoil is a response or a reaction to force applied, just like bullet acceleration.

The gun fires. The slide and bullet start to move at the same time. The slide pulls the barrel backward with it. The barrel drops, and the slide continues on momentum. That's all there is to it.

This is a simple statement of frustration and fatigue. A scream would have been simpler, but I found that it lacked in literary merit...

Posts liked by others
    Well said.

From high school physics class: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Bullet <== BANG! ==> Slide

Or, to be more technically accurate as well as more alliterative:

Bullet <== BANG! ==> Brass ... and the brass then pushes the slide ahead of it in the rearward direction.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Very well put oh wise on. Reminds me of something Newton said a while back. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I believe there was also something about an object at rest tends to stay at rest while an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless effected by outside stimulus. Then again I understand little about physics so what do I know?

Posts liked by others
    Hunter, I beat you by 17.635 seconds
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I get it, a person at rest tends to stay at rest that's why I have a job!
    Seriously, thanks for the explanation!
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    I posted and then saw you posted the same thing first and dang it my 1 shot to almost have a point and Hawk beat me to it. I had to use spellcheck twice. Hawk I don't know where John got this spellcheck program but I love him for it. It pure beats the britches off my spellcheck!

Posts liked by others
    Then why does a gun make no noise and yet recoil on the last round and then the shootist not look at anyone whilst going to reload?
    xxxxxx Iron bottom sez; Don't let your Rat Terrier hang around with college boys.

Posts liked by others
    ?Huh?............now I'm lost...............but I bet that was the idea.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Well, Johnny, wherever that was that you was, you should mebbie stop trying there.

I'll never forget one of WC Field's maxims: "Never Smarten Up A Chump"! :-) If they don't understand physics then they have no business trying to teach 'em to you!

-Dave

Posts liked by others
    I used to think this phenomenon was a terribly embarrissing flinch, but when this happens, flinching is vehemently denied.
    xxxxxx Iron bottom sez; Don't let your Rat Terrier hang around with college boys.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast