Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft and IDPA

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Airsoft and IDPA

I have been reading thru the forums and see how everyone has been talking about how Airsoft can be used for training. First off as John knows, I run a company that uses airsoft for training in the LEO community. We basically play the bad guys for them. (Sorry John, I have not had time to write out scenarios for the forum, like you had asked.) Lots of work has been going on for awhile now.

But back to the point of this thread. We have recently started running IDPA style events. We have only had two events so far. But the people are really excited. We have been contacted by pistol competitors and local LEO's who want to join in. Basically, people are seeing how airsoft is a cheap way to improve their skills. Also they are seeing how, when the weather is too bad in Colorado, they can still get in some practice time.

What we have done is followed the guide lines that the Hong Kong shooter clubs use for the events. We have swinging targets, popup and fall down targets. Along with large variety of static shoot and no shoots. We use a "Limited Vickers count" which has worked out just fine. Granted most of our targets are a little closer than what you would see at a regular IDPA event. But with airsoft we are not that far off. We are offering even a three gun event. And people are really excited about that.

So basically the reason I am writing this is to help people understand that when it comes to airsoft. Even it can find a niche in the world other than just people shooting at each other in the woods. There are a lot of people either who can not afford to buy a real steel pistol or they just can’t for what ever reason. Like their spouse frowns on it or they are afraid the kids will get a hold of them. Either way airsoft is becoming more of a way for people to experience shooting in safe and cheaper way.

Well that is enough of my soap box. I just wanted to share this cause this is the first forum for shooters that has ever had an airsoft section. And was willing to talk about it and not bash it.

Thanks again John for such a great place for shooters to get together and share ideas and experience.

Posts liked by others
    I use my airsoft guns, (Beretta 92 and WE Hi Capa 5.1) for training- trigger control and target sighting, and it seems to pay off.
    What Goes Around, Really Comes Around!
    9mm Llama Max II L/F
    9mm Llama Minimax

Posts liked by others
    I use one of the high end Japanese Wilson clones to practice sight picture during commercials. I was surprised that it really does seem to help -- or at the very least develope muscle memory.

Posts liked by others
    My daughter and I both spent last weekend practicing with a friends airsoft Glock and we're going to be getting one for both of us because it can do nothing but improve us. She is only 11 and just started shooting a 9mm but wants to be ready when she shoots her first match and loves the practice with the airsoft.
    Steve
    Respect All ... Fear None

Posts liked by others
    The really nice thing is that you can set up a full course in your back yard and get in some really good trigger time. Working the basics and getting your speed and point of aim down well.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelroberts
    The really nice thing is that you can set up a full course in your back yard and get in some really good trigger time. Working the basics and getting your speed and point of aim down well.
    Dont mean to hijack, but what 1911 airsoft clones do you recommend? I can not see spending $190+ so Tokyo Marui and WA are probably out. Are there any other decent 1911's (KWA?)?
    irq23
    Member NRA
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts liked by others
    I have a KWA and love it. I have not had any trouble with it in over two years.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by irq23
    Dont mean to hijack, but what 1911 airsoft clones do you recommend? I can not see spending $190+ so Tokyo Marui and WA are probably out. Are there any other decent 1911's (KWA?)?
    Early on in the life of our airsoft forum, John and I tested a number of pistols from various manufacturers, ranging from a couple of $19 spring guns up through some high-end race guns. The reviews are all posted here, if you go back and read them.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Early on in the life of our airsoft forum, John and I tested a number of pistols from various manufacturers, ranging from a couple of $19 spring guns up through some high-end race guns. The reviews are all posted here, if you go back and read them.
    I did read those a while back Hawk and they were very well written reviews. Though it seemed like you guys only really liked the Western Arms and Tokyo Marui 1911's. I cant justify spending $200+ on a "toy" gun when i could get a used BUG pistol for that money. I also need an airsoft 1911 with a full beaver tail so I can practice the same draw and grip as I use on my real 1911's, so a standard "Gov Model" would not be as much use to me.
    irq23
    Member NRA
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts liked by others
    ...what 1911 airsoft clones do you recommend?
    A friend and I recently bought two Tokyo Marui HI-CAPA 1911 pistols, one 5" and one 4.3". They are clones of the STI Tactical Hi-cap 1911s.

My friend changed his slide and outer barrel using metal parts from Guarder, and he changed the valve. I left mine stock. I think my friend is wishing he had left his stock, because the original parts appear to be of higher quality, and because it may not be possible to reinstall the original parts. We both use Propane without problems so far.

We have used them in Force on Force exercises, and love them! They are amazingly accurate.

Including one extra mag, each pistol was about $150.
    - MacEntyre
    Per Ardua, Infensus, Sine Politico
    Haec manus inimica tyrannis
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 4th June 2007 at 12:58.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast