Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1911.ORG Forums Site News Feed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, this looks as if it was easier than I thought. Use the RSS reader of your choice and point it to the following source:

http://forum.m1911.org/external.php?type=rss

Try this and let me know how it works.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, here is something better for you to try. You may not see any difference, but it is better, believe me!

Enter the following into your RSS reader:

forum.m1911.org/fps_external.php?type=rss2&items=active&bbcode=yes &postlenght=full

Let me know how you like it.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    callandor, I am that old.

I know modern "merged" software is supposed to make our lives easier, but it seems like I was was faster with my command lines and my text based stuff.

John, that is slick. I'll have to play with it a little and see how it works. I don't use a dedicated reader but have a webpage setup with all my RSS links. To keep the load times down I only load 5 headlines at a time so I don't see any difference between the two links.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    If you want, you can set the number of headlines you see, using the following:

http://forum.m1911.org/fps_external....ode=yes&qty=20

Here is an explanation of the URL above:

&type : use "&type=rss2" for best result, it's the latest version of the RSS standard.
    &items=active : use this if you want to see threads which contain new posts, as well as new threads. If you omit that, only new threads will be shown.
    &bbcode=yes : Leave that in, it instructs the program to parse BBCodes and show the results, instead of plain text.
    &qty=xx : instructs the program how many headlines to fetch. If you do not use it, it fetches 15 headlines.
    &postlenght=full : if you include that, the program fetches the whole post, if you omit it, or replace full with a number, the program fetches only the first xxx characters from the post.

I hope you find this helpful. For me, it is the same as coming here and asking to see the New Posts, actually New Posts is much more flexible, but to each his own.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    Last edited by John; 21st November 2006 at 10:25.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John:
    Enter the following into your RSS reader:

forum.m1911.org/fps_external.php?type=rss2&items=active&bbcode=yes &postlenght=full

Let me know how you like it.
    Thanks, John. It worked and I certainly liked it!

To those interested, I did it this way:
    1. Went to google.com/ig (where I have other contents fed);
    2. Clicked the "Add new content" link found at the top of the page;
    3. Clicked the "Add by url" link found also at the top of the page; and
    4. Pasted John's magic words above in the url text box then clicked "Add".

This way, I won't need a reader.

Actually, I've been using this google thing for quite some time but didn't know that it is called "RSS" or that sites such as this could be added. I just selected the contents among the many which are already provided by google. I always thought that news = nntp; now, there is a better way. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc:
    callandor, I am that old.

I know modern "merged" software is supposed to make our lives easier, but it seems like I was was faster with my command lines and my text based stuff.
    Not "old" - maybe "wise and experienced".
    Modern tech is good but proven tech is foolish to disregard. That's why it's still the 1911 for me even after owning a fine Glock.
    [Colt M1911-A1 .38 Super] [Colt M1911 .45 ACP] [Colt M1911-A1 .45 ACP] [Armscor Hi-Cap/Les Baer/Ultimatch .400 .40 S&W (IPSC Standard)] [CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow 9mm NATO (IPSC Production)] [STI/Caspian/Schuemann Hybricomp .38 Super (IPSC Open)] [Glock 22 Gen 3] [2 Colt AR-15s Semi, Burst, Full]
    Last edited by Callandor; 4th August 2006 at 00:18.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the breakdown John. The 5 headline limit was mine. The style sheet for the XML page I have my RSS feeds on is set for 5. I'm going to spend some time playing with what you suggested. My son uses a dedicated reader and he really likes it so that may be an alternative way to go.

Callandor, I agree about old vs. new and improved although I think using "fine" and "Glock" in the same sentence may be stretching it a bit.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Oh what joy, what bliss!! This is AWESOME! Added it to my MyYAHOO home page, moved it to the top just below the email summary.

Using the url that includes "=full", I can adjust the number of headlines visible to as many as 30.

Very nice. Once again, M1911.ORG steps up. Thanks guys for the idea and John for taking time to implement.

--jcd
    "You can have anything in the world you want if you help enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    I hope nobody thinks I was complaining, or anything even CLOSE to it. I know that John and the others put many many hours into this site, as I have stated elsewhere. It was just an idea that hit me as i was reading the original post.
    Right is right, no matter how much you wish it wasn't.
    I'm tellin ya, I'm invincible.... I cant be vinced!

Posts liked by others
    I just set it all up on a Google Homepage .

This is cool Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12