Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1911.ORG Forums Site News Feed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

M1911.ORG Forums Site News Feed

I am new to this forum (just registered minutes ago) and am trying to find info about how to setup my news reader to download subscribed threads. I have a dial-up connection with the unfortunate speed of a snail; hence, It has been my plan to set my news reader to download the subscribed threads at night when activity is low and connection cost is cheap. However, I can't seem to get the settings right. I tried browsing the faq and this thread to no avail. Please excuse me if this has already been discussed somewhere - I might have overlooked it. If what I plan is possible and someone has an idea as to the set-up thing, any help will be greatly appreciated.
    [Colt M1911-A1 .38 Super] [Colt M1911 .45 ACP] [Colt M1911-A1 .45 ACP] [Armscor Hi-Cap/Les Baer/Ultimatch .400 .40 S&W (IPSC Standard)] [CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow 9mm NATO (IPSC Production)] [STI/Caspian/Schuemann Hybricomp .38 Super (IPSC Open)] [Glock 22 Gen 3] [2 Colt AR-15s Semi, Burst, Full]

Posts liked by others
    Callandor, first off welcome to the forum.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting to download subscribed threads to an RSS type newsreader correct? Unless John has added it recently, the forum software does not have that function.

You can subscribe to threads, but the posts are sent to you via email and are read in your email program. You can select to get an email every time someone posts or a "digest" version which is a summary of all the posts combined in one email.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    garrettwc,

I don't know if it is called RSS type but that's the idea. Anyhow, thanks for the info. The digest seems to appeal to me; it will do. Thanks again.
    [Colt M1911-A1 .38 Super] [Colt M1911 .45 ACP] [Colt M1911-A1 .45 ACP] [Armscor Hi-Cap/Les Baer/Ultimatch .400 .40 S&W (IPSC Standard)] [CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow 9mm NATO (IPSC Production)] [STI/Caspian/Schuemann Hybricomp .38 Super (IPSC Open)] [Glock 22 Gen 3] [2 Colt AR-15s Semi, Burst, Full]

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Oh boy, you guys want to get me in trouble.

As garrettwc says, the forum software does not support this functionality, but it's a nice idea, so I'll check out and see if I can integrate something like that.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Cool

It would be nice to have something like a "news ticker" at the bottom of my browser that I can set to pop up posts by folk I determine, such as John, 1911Tuner, Hawkmoon, and the various other persons whom are amusing to me.
    Right is right, no matter how much you wish it wasn't.
    I'm tellin ya, I'm invincible.... I cant be vinced!

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Amuse you? Darn, and I was trying to be ... informative! LoRL.

Let's not get too demanding, OK? I am not sure I can even implement a news feeder, you want specific features in it? Gimme a break, I was a programmer about 15 years ago, you think it is easy in my age???
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    As garrettwc says, the forum software does not support this functionality, but it's a nice idea, so I'll check out and see if I can integrate something like that.
    Thanks for considering it, John. I just thought it would be a small matter of enabling nntp service - much like pop for email. However, if it would need a software overhaul or a major plug-in programming, please don't bother. This forum is already good as it is. What matters is the precious info from all of you guys which cannot be easily mined simply by reading books due to its added mixture of experience and humor in the correct and proper proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
    It would be nice to have something like a "news ticker" at the bottom of my browser that I can set to pop up posts by folk I determine...
    Immortal_Ben,
    Perhaps we should also demand the kitchen sink? It might keep John busy enough to keep him from joining the fun. Just kidding, guys. With John busy hammering the keyboard to produce code, people in this forum will be deprived of his wisdom. Anyway, thanks again for all your replies.

Posts liked by others
    I just thought it would be a small matter of enabling nntp service - much like pop for email.
    Oh, I get it now. You were talking about usenet newsgroups and readers.

What I was referring to is RSS which stands for real simple syndication. It's a new type of news technology. Basically, you can subscribe to websites like newspapers, tv, blogs, etc. Whenever that site is updated, the update is broadcast to a reader where you can click the headlines and read the update.

Here's a brief intro to RSS on feedster's website:
    http://www.feedster.com/help/rssopml.php
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    Oh, I get it now. You were talking about usenet newsgroups and readers.
    Yes, That was it! I've heard about RSS stuff but was not sure what that is (thanks for the link, by the way.). I was kind of used to usenet and old tech like ftp. I don't know if they still use Archie these days - seems to me that almost everything now is hypertext based. This web based forum is new to me; I formerly used http only for www browsing. Anyway, I'm really not that old!
    I just got used to compartmentalized protocols: http for web; nntp for news; ftp for file transfer; pop for email - well, you get the idea.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    No, NNTP is not the answer here. RSS is, but I'll have to check and see if there is a hack for that. I know I've seen one, but I do not know if it was to show you updates from the site, or just to show you RSS feeds from other sites. I'll check it out when I find some time, but being August (which means the kids nursery is closed) I am overloaded with ... baby-sitting chores.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast