Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: How many 1911 calibers have there been?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

How many 1911 calibers have there been?

I started a thread like this over at 1911F a year or more back. (Hey, don't go look for it yet!) So, this oughta keep us busy for a few days on this board too. I'll chime in with one oddball, for starters: 9mm Steyr. If somebody wants to keep a running tally as we go, great. Some of you will be surprised how many there have been!

Posts liked by others
    O.K. let's see what I can come up with here. .45 ACP, .22lr, .30 Luger, 9mm, 38 super, 9x23 winchester, .41 AE, 10mm, 9x25 Dillon, .400 Cor-Bon, .357 sig, 40 S&W, .224 BOZ, .38 Special, .38-45 Clerke, .38 Casull, .41 Avenger, .45 Super, 460 Roland, and .40 Super. That is what I can rember off the top of my head I'm on a quest to have a barel in each caliber.
    I've never heard of 9mm Styer gotta research that one!!!

Posts liked by others
    Brian and Harley,

Didn't somebody make one in .45 magnum in the late 70's-early 80s, about the time the Bren Ten tried to come out?

And what about that new .50 govt.???

Your list shows 1911s I never heard of. Great idea for a post.

Rabbi
    Never Again!
    -Mier Kahane
    Last edited by Rabbi; 8th June 2004 at 23:08.

Posts liked by others
    .50 govt. yes as for the .45 magnum I think Wildey is the only one who made that gun. because it requires a bigger frame. But I could be wrong

Posts liked by others
    Well, the Red Chinese converted 1911s they captured from the Chinese Nationalists to .30 Mauser.
    Then in wildcats I can remember the 10mm Centaur, and the .45 J-Mag. There were even factory loads for .451 Detonics.

Posts liked by others

Smile How many 1911 calibers have there been?

Hello Fellas,

I have a L.A.R. Grizzly 45 Winchester Magnum, which is a newly manufactured (during the 80's and 90's) beefed up 1911. It has conversion kits for many of the calibers that you have mentioned above and also 357/45 Winchester Magnum which is a 45 WM necked down to 357. It is a bottle neck cartridge and it's hot. Also, I have a friend who owns a Coonan, which shoots 357 Magnums and 38 specials. Coonan was experimenting with the 41 Mag, but none were ever produced for commercial release. There is also a new 1911 out just recently called the .50 GI which is a 50 caliber cartridge in A.C.P. configuration. The 10mm Mag and the 9mm Mag were made to shoot from autos although not 1911's. Can't think of any more right off the bat.

Automan123

Posts liked by others
    The British had a 455? Eley? I think that was the caliber and name. Also the old 22 long rifle.