Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Clinic

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Monitor Bob

Excellent! I can always do with somebody watchin' my back...especially the last 3 weeks. Can't figger why in HELLO anybody would take steroids unless they had to. Must be why all those pro athletes stay in so much trouble.

The CLP in the slurry is the key to the slick part. More specifially, the teflon base. Another good one is plain old Mil-spec LSA, which is heavy with teflon.
    Makes the slurry a bit thick though.

Back in the "olden" days...before J&B...we used a dab of 606S DuPont Rubbing Compound, and followed with 101S Polishing compound mixed with honing oil or sewing machine oil. The mix was thin...about 80/20 oil to compound...but it did purty good. Heck...I've even used straight Pearl Drops tooth polish in a pinch.

EDIT:

Well..I see the bot tagged me for sayin H-E double hockey sticks.
    I know I know...I knew better...

Posts liked by others

Question

Guys, can any of you give an opinion about a product called "MILITEC", a "Synthetic Metal Conditioner - Dry Impregnated Lubricant"?????????
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others

Monitor

Pearl Drops?? Yep, been there, done that. And before that, in the early 60's I believe, I used Gleem...worked great on my teeth, too!

Bob

Posts liked by others
    Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and also new to the 1911 style pistol. I’m posting this, (and I hope this is a suitable place) because of what happened last weekend at the range and because of what I did. I have recently purchased a “Kimber Pro Carry Ten II” maybe three months ago and have put maybe 2500 or 3000 rounds through it. When I first started taking it to the range every weekend I was seeing feed problems maybe one round in every magazine or every other magazine, the feeding round would bind as it rocked up over the bevel and into the chamber. After maybe 15 or 1800 rounds this started to go away and the gun was only misfeeding maybe once on four or five magazines. Then last weekend we had our first cold snap and all of a sudden it was misfeeding on almost every round and mostly on the first 5 or 6 in the magazine (13 rnd. Mag.) Because of the earlier occasions I had already done a pretty thorough inspection of the action and observed this binding that was happening. So after I returned from the range I cleaned the gun and then took a piece of 600 grit emery paper and wrapped it around the shank of a 5/16 drill bit and put about a .020 radius on the corner where the bevel meets the chamber. This corner was easily sharp enough to bite into the case, it was nice and clean, no burr but sharp. My aim was to remove the sharp edge and give it a polished surface at that point with no edges to drag on. I won’t get to see if this had any effect until this weekend and unless the weather is cold again I won’t be able to see if it fixed the problem. What I am hoping is that I didn’t act too rashly and end up having to buy another barrel.
    I guess I’m looking for reassurance that I didn’t ruin the barrel. Oh well any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Posts liked by others

Ruined?

Hi Ronc, and welcome aboard.

Not likely that you ruined your barrel with little more than a 64th radius, unless the headspace was right on the peg to start with. Be aware that you did lose a little case head support, so keep an eye on your brass to see if any of it develops a little odd bulge just ahead of the web area.

For what it's worth...what you did is pretty much standard these days. It's a little reliability tweak to help the round break over to horizontal and enter the chamber...but it shouldn't be relied on to correct a 3-Point Jam that's caused by other things...even though it may work. The rolled corner is added insurance...nothing more.

Since it got worse with use, it may be a simple matter of removing the extractor and cleaning the tunnel. If it gets cacked up with fouling, the extractor can't spring open to let the rim slip under it.

Weak magazine springs can also be a player in this type of stoppage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12