Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different followers

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.

Posts liked by others

Caution regarding non-skirted folded followers in alloy frames

In the illustration in the initial post of this thread, the follower in the lower right is commonly called the "folded" follower. It is also known as a CMC, Shooting Star, Devel type or non-skirted follower.

It has been my experience that these tend to chew up the feed ramps of my alloy 1911s, even those 1911s that have ramped barrels.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=61318

Kimber CDP:

Chip McCormick Corp. (CMC) uses these followers almost exclusively AFAIK. I have also received Kimber magazines with these followers (in my case the base plate was stamped Kimber and the follower had the "Shooting Star" logo stamped into it.

Rather than just toss these magazines into landfill (since all my pistols at the time had alloy frames) I converted them over to Wilson springs and followers using one of their $8 kits. They make a kit for converting magazines from 7 to 8 rounds, and even though these CMCs and Kimber labeled (?) CMCs were already 8 round magazines, these kits worked for me.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_springs_followers.asp

The magazines I've received in recently purchased Kimbers has a skirted metal follwer that prevents the follower from walking forward into the feed ramp as the last round is chambered...

This follower is similar to the one used by Kimber in their KimPro Tac-Mag, in which case it is Telfon coated stainless.

In my alloy 1911s I've had the best results with Wilson Combat and KimPro Tac-Mag magazines.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.
    Last edited by warmrain; 24th May 2006 at 11:07. Reason: Clarification

Posts liked by others
    I have a cd commander that I think has MecGar mags. The follower looks just like the metalform steel, 8 round, no skirt however, and they are unmarked. Anyone know what I may have?

Posts liked by others

Followers: Round vs Flat

I've read Tuner's post about the function of the dimple and how it helps the extractor to control round feed the last round. Can somebody please explain how/why the rounded follower came to be and how it compares to the flat follower?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben H

Posts liked by others
    I bought a 7rd mag from my bud's gun shop today, but it has no markings on it at all. Seems pretty well built, functions good, and has a steel follower made like the Metalform 8rd no skirt, and has the dimple. Any idea what it is ? It was new in a pack, and I only gave $15 for it. I just wanted a flush fit mag for carry.

Also, my S&W 8rd mags do not have a dimple, and are not made like any of those. The front 1/4" of the follower is a step down to push up the slide stop, and the top is smooth. Has a front skirt as well.

Posts liked by others

Adding a dimple

New guy here

Can the dimple/pimple be just added to the Kimpro Tac-Mag follower? Will it still do the function it was designed to do in an 8 rounder?

I like the idea behind the flush fitting 8-round KimPro but after experiencing several malfunctions where the last round is chambered but the extractor tip is BEHIND the round and the slide is out of battery (a jam that's supposed to be prevented by the dimple?) with my CMC Power10 mag I'd rather not trust a smooth follower (which the Tac-Mag has?).

This malfunction doesn't happen with my CobraMags (8 and 10), Wolff 7-rounder with the dimpled follower, Novaks Mag upraded with the Tripp Unit and the Norinco magazines that I have.

Thanks all...

Posts liked by others

dimple again

Who all sells magazines with the dimple on the follower besides Metal Form?

Tried smooth flat ones, like Mec Gar, and last round jams everytime in my Springfield Mil Spec.

og

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by batoy1911
    Can the dimple/pimple be just added to the Kimpro Tac-Mag follower? Will it still do the function it was designed to do in an 8 rounder?
    Yes it can...small ball punch works quite well...

Dead

Posts liked by others

Proper fixture....

Quote Originally Posted by deadmarsh
    Yes it can...small ball punch works quite well...
    Dead
    I never tried it but it you probably should have a fixture made to back up the follower, so it does not bend or fold...Pappy
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy
    I never tried it but it you probably should have a fixture made to back up the follower, so it does not bend or fold...Pappy
    I use the depression on my shop vise -- acts as a great fixture to protect from bending...

Dead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast