Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: why are norincos banned in US???

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

why are norincos banned in US???

im not sure if this has been tackled by why are norincos banned in the US????

Posts liked by others
    Politics.

If someone remembers the specific reason for the executive orders that ban Norincos from importation, please post it for information purposes. However, if I see any discussion of whether or not anyone agrees with the order I will lock the thread. This forum is not for political discussions.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I spoke with Robert Bank from Canada on the telephone the other day and he explained it that the Norinco company was selling munitions to folks who not out allies (as far as what exactly he can explain it better) and Clinton got wind of it and banned them. Bob told me he can not even cross into the U.S. with his personal Norinco for any reason.

Posts liked by others
    In May, 1994, President Clinton issued an executive order banning the importation of all Chinese-made firearms and ammunition as a trade sanction against the Chinese government for human rights abuses.

In May, 2003, President bush imposed a 2 year ban on ALL Norino imports. They make all sorts of stuff, not just weapons. Some of the reaons for the ban are that Norinco reportedly uses slave labor, and sold ballistic missile technology to Iran.

Posts liked by others
    thank you so much for the information, atleast now i know why....makes us people here in this side of the world appreciate the things we get here. atleast we have something the americans can't have...not unlessk that EO is cancelled.

Posts liked by others
    at least we have something the americans can't have
    Enjoy your Cuban cigars, KCboy!
    The older I get...
    ...the better I was

Posts liked by others
    One of our members, Jim V, has posted this info, in 1911forum.com.

The Norinco "Model of the 1911A1" was first imported into the US in '90/'91 and the importation was stopped in '95 by an Executive Order issued by Clinton, the order was for all handguns, miliary look-alike rifles and ammunition produced by Norinco (North China Heavy Industries).

At the time of the EO several things had happened both here in the US and in China that were causing Clinton some concerns; the word that the PRC had spent a lot of money on his presidental race (and his pockets too, I'll wager); the chance the PRC/PLA would have exclusive use of the Port of Long Beach; the smuggling in of several sea containers of real, honest to Mao AK-47s that were destined for the various gangs in LA and other American cities through the parts of the port that the PRC already had use of and human rights violation in China. Clinton needed to do something that would make the American public think that he was doing something about the PRC's violations, the Port of Long Beach deal that he favored and to divert questions on the $$ that were received. The EO made anti-gunners happy since the evil military guns were not being imported, it made Clinton's people happy since it made him look as if he was doing something, it made the HR people happy since he was "showing the PRC" that human rights violations would not be tolerated and it did not upset the flow of cash from the US to China and back to 1600 PA. Avenue. The firearms importation was but a very, very small part of the total amount of goods produced by Norinco and exported to the US. Norinco or North China Heavy Industries is the largest manufacturing company in the world, producing everything from shoes thru heavy machinery (and military arms and munitions). Clinton's EO has no expiraion date and will remain in effect until it is recinded by another EO.

Bush issued a 2 year EO banning all Norinco products from importation after China was found to be shipping missiles to Iran/Iraq. When that EO expires everything, but the Clinton banned items, will be allowed in the country again.

It is my understanding Executive Orders are rarely if ever reversed. From my reading on the subject it is a bit of a tradition in US politics similar to those that have risen overtime in Parliamentry systems of government.

Hunter is correct in that the ban also prevents shooters such as myself from entering the US for a shoot with a Norinco handgun and for Canadians on this forum even having one with you on an overflight where you change planes going to a third country will result is seizure of the firearm.

Every country operates within what they think is the best policy for their citizens and the US is no different in this regard. There is however a hint of protectionism here as the NOrinco A1 priced at around $225US would certainly compete with low end Springfields and Colts for the mil-spec 1911 market.

Take Care
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."
    - LtCol. Jeff Cooper as quoted in Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2002

Posts liked by others
    Gents, thanks for the specifics. I remembered that there were two separate bans affecting the Norks, but I didn't recall the details.

Now that the question has been answered, I am going to close the thread so that we don't drift off into poltical discussions. We haven't so far, for which I commend you, but once the question has been answered, any elaborations will likely begin to slide in that direction.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside