Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Burps

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Smile Hadn't thought about that....

John:

Yeah, but wasn't he about 100 years old then?

The wife and I were heading down to FL (via Atlanta) on I-77, and where it didn't exist yet, we ended up on more conventional roads that put us in his neighborhood. Interesting ride down a mountain following a truck with burning brakes, too.

Hm.... Maybe Tuner was looking for marshmallows?

Happy New Year to all!
    Stu.
    (Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others

A hunnert years old??? Why you young whippersnapper...If I was 30 years younger I'd...I'd...uh....I'd... Aw hellnevermind. I fergit.

Posts liked by others

Is this why I have trouble with Wilson mag?

Tuner,

I tried a Wilson Combat mag in my Springfield Micro Compact today and a couple of things went wrong. First, the second to last round tended to get 'stuck' as if it had trouble coming out of the mag and then made it a little too late and got jammed half way into the barrel. Dropping the mag would allow it to go into full battery and be ready to fire.

Also, one time, the last round in the mag failed to feed properly and I ended up with a bullet-up stovepipe on a live round.

Before you ask, no I am not limp-wristing the gun I had the range owner try and he had the same issues. Not sure what the deal is, but the Wilson mag has a different follower than the standard 1911 mag - it is rounded and has no dimple.

Posts liked by others

Wilson Belches

Quote Originally Posted by jridg
    Tuner,

I tried a Wilson Combat mag in my Springfield Micro Compact today and a couple of things went wrong. First, the second to last round tended to get 'stuck' as if it had trouble coming out of the mag and then made it a little too late and got jammed half way into the barrel. Dropping the mag would allow it to go into full battery and be ready to fire.

Also, one time, the last round in the mag failed to feed properly and I ended up with a bullet-up stovepipe on a live round.

Before you ask, no I am not limp-wristing the gun I had the range owner try and he had the same issues. Not sure what the deal is, but the Wilson mag has a different follower than the standard 1911 mag - it is rounded and has no dimple.
    Yep...Sounds about par for one of the things I've seen'em do...and it wasn't your grip. In your case, it was caused by a weak spring. High recoil spring load/rate can contribute.

First stoppage: Round wasn't being helped under the extractor as it was stripped. Normally happens on the last or next-to-last round.

Second stoppage: Bolt-Over Base faiulre to feed. Round wasn't getting into position in time to meet the slide. Breechface catches the case in the extractor groove instead of at the back of the rim. Butt goes down...nose goes up...slide nails the round between it and the barrel hood. Normally happens on the last round.

They'll do other cute little tricks too...Stronger spring will help with your two malfunctions, but not on the others...which occur because the last round jumps the follower due to no raised dimple. Not restricted to Wilson magazines.

N

Posts liked by others
    I have heard that folks feel the Wilson springs are a bit weak. Is this a true statement? This mag is brand new out of the package.

Posts liked by others

General Consensus

Quote Originally Posted by jridg
    I have heard that folks feel the Wilson springs are a bit weak. Is this a true statement? This mag is brand new out of the package.
    They are...straight out of the package. CmC Powermags at least have a good spring. Doesn't solve the last round follower jump issue though...No dimple. That little dimple is important.

Posts liked by others
    hypothetical question for Tuner,

can Magazine springs be too strong. maybe you couldnt load them -- but will a stronger spring screw up feeding or timing ?

Posts liked by others

Springs

Quote Originally Posted by emiddio
    hypothetical question for Tuner,

can Magazine springs be too strong. maybe you couldnt load them -- but will a stronger spring screw up feeding or timing ?

Yes. Yes.

Although "too strong" wouldn't alter the magazine timing in a bad way...i.e. not getting the round into position in time to beat the slide...the added drag on the slide as the next round came up and exerted pressure against it after stripping the feeding round and before full return to battery could
    slow the slide to the point that its momentum and the recoil spring couldn't overcome it. Depends a lot on the individual gun. Yes. it can be made too strong to allow filling the magazine without a loading tool.

Nope Didn't ask you a question. I posted another thread with information for you to consider.

Wait. I do have a hypothetical question.

If a bullfrog had wings, how high would he have to jump in order to bump his butt on the ground with the same force as he does after a normal jump without wings?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
    Yes. Yes.

Although "too strong" wouldn't alter the magazine timing in a bad way...i.e. not getting the round into position in time to beat the slide...the added drag on the slide as the next round came up and exerted pressure against it after stripping the feeding round and before full return to battery could
    slow the slide to the point that its momentum and the recoil spring couldn't overcome it. Depends a lot on the individual gun. Yes. it can be made too strong to allow filling the magazine without a loading tool.
    thanks Tuner; your answer was just what i was thinking -- though i didnt mention increased resistance -- i was thinking about it.

Posts liked by others

re:

Mighty welcome, Emiddio.

Now, about that bullfrog thing...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast