Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Magazine Burps

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Smile

Tuner put a missive about dimples here someplace.... Lots of good stuff there....

BTW, the "dimple" is really a "pimple" - a small bump (not a depression) in the top surface of the magazine follower. I don't know how you'd add one to an existing plastic follower, but a metal one may allow it.

I've got some Pachmayr followers here (no idea where I put 'em) that have essentially one huge pimple on the follower. They seemed to work fine in some no-name GI magazines. I swapped to Tripp Conversions (Tripp followers & springs in my tubes) some time back. They've got the dimple too. Work fine....

My little Kimber's ("Compact Custom") came with two factory mags with the compressable followers that allow seven rounds in an "Officer's" length tube. No dimple, but no problems yet. At least a thousand rounds.... I probably could figure a way to put a dimple into the follower though - they're metal.

(Tuner may not agree, but I don't think the exact location is important - the idea is to slightly retard the motion of the last round because the drag over the follower is different - faster - than that over a cartridge case.)

MecGar's: I've got two for the Para P1345 - 10-rounds. They worked perfectly from the first shot but wouldn't hold the slide open. Ended up with Wolff springs and Para followers (from Brownells). I think the Para mags were about $50. The MecGar's about half of that. By the time I got the replacement parts in, I think I had about $45/mag going here.... But the tubes and bases are solid, and the single stackers usually are less tempermental. In some cases, though, a particular gun is just going to like a particular magazine (and/or cartridge). You'd expect the factory magazine that came with the gun to be good, but I think that's as good as it gets.

Rule #1: Tuner's usually right.

Rule #2: See Rule #1.

Kinda like a wife, but a happy 750 miles from me .

Regards,
    Stu.
    (Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others
    Rule #1: Tuner's usually right.

Rule #2: See Rule #1.
    ------------------------------------------

Agree!

And without him knowing, he made me buy 3 Old Model Wolff 7 rounders (the SS GI type mags with flat pimpled follower and 11# springs) even though I already have 12 magazines and don't really need 3 more.

I too have the tripp upgrade follower/spring that I put in my 2 Mec-Gars (stamped with the Novaks logo), 2 - 8rounds and 3 10rounds CobraMags. Never got the last round to act up the way they do with the Power10. The CobraMags do have a pimple but it's located further back to where the end of the extractor groove would be if there was another round in the mag.

I think the CobraMags are quite reliable (I'm still experimenting with different bullets so some of my jams may have been due to the ammo not the mags). I do have some experience with the CobraMags consistently failing to lock the slide back on a friend's 1911 after the last round is fired.

Oh and one other thing, I put the Norinco mag spring side by side with the Wolff 11#er that I ordered from Brownells (yep, Tuner made me do that too), the Wolff spring is only longer by half a coil. Does anybody have any idea how heavy the Nork mag springs are?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456