Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Firing pins

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Walver
    If you remove the Swartz system parts, you should probably consider a Titanium FP and extra power FP spring to make it more safe if dropped.
    Walt
    Why is it that series 70 Colts are considered safe to carry cocked and locked, but if one converts from a hammer block safety system to a seriies 70 system, they become unsafe? I've never really understood this thinking.

Posts liked by others
    My understanding is that if dropped on the muzzle, pointing down, the inertia from momentum has caused a good many misfires. If you put the ultra light Titanium pin in there with an extra strong FP spring it can't produce enough inertia to fire the round.
    If I'm wrong, sorry; that's just what I gleaned from here and there. Basically, the series 70 would not be considered safe in a drop, if it landed nose down. It's my understanding that Bill Wilson's guns don't use the Swartz system, but the Titanium FP and XP FP spring. Also many other Custom Builders, so I read, but it's gossip, because I have not investigated this at all, only read some articles that were not documented.
    So do some research yourself before believing any of this. I am not expert by any stretch.
    Walt

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Walver
    My understanding is that if dropped on the muzzle, pointing down, the inertia from momentum has caused a good many misfires. If you put the ultra light Titanium pin in there with an extra strong FP spring it can't produce enough inertia to fire the round.
    If I'm wrong, sorry; that's just what I gleaned from here and there. Basically, the series 70 would not be considered safe in a drop, if it landed nose down. It's my understanding that Bill Wilson's guns don't use the Swartz system, but the Titanium FP and XP FP spring. Also many other Custom Builders, so I read, but it's gossip, because I have not investigated this at all, only read some articles that were not documented.
    So do some research yourself before believing any of this. I am not expert by any stretch.
    Walt
    I hear and respect what you're saying, and I also have 1911s with the titanium and heavy springs and they seem to work great. My thinking that I have formed over the past 40 years of watching and shooting 1911s is I have never personally seen or heard of a 1911 firing from a muzzle drop. It seems pretty hard to land a 1911 perfectly on its muzzle from a drop as the grip of the gun is a bit heavier than the muzzle. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I am saying it seems unlikely, and I definately have never heard of a case of and accidental firing from this position. I personally didn't mind the series 80 system, and I don't mind the titanium firing pin system, but I really don't feel confident with the Schwartz. Had I understood it better, I never would have bought it, and that's why I have bypassed the system. I do agree with you that if you need a drop system, I would rather have the titanium pin and heavy spring over any of the systems out there today.

Posts liked by others
    Myanof - Have you ever taken out the hammer and sear? You will find the flat connector that slids in a slot to push up the pin (one piece) through the frame. Then if you look at the FP, you can see that there is nothing in the Swartz system to hangup or drag. I don't understand what you expect to give you trouble. If your FP stop fits properly the Extractor can't clock enough to jam anything. The FP stop is what you should be checking in that case. What's more likely, the drop-discharge scenario or the Swartz safety hang-up your worrying about. I think I like the safety, but if I worried about it, out it would come. However, I would use the Titanium pin and heavy spring. If you do a Goggle search for, 1911 accidental discharges, I bet you will find cases to study.
    Walt

Posts liked by others
    I agree with you in that I think the FP mechanism in the slide is pretty secure. My main worry stems from the plunger that rides in the frame. I think that is the weak link in the system. It seems to be a mighty thin piece of rolled metal that your life is riding on. Yes I know manufactures like Sig use a similar system, but the parts are much beefier than Kimber.

Posts liked by others
    Peace of mind is very important, so you must take care of your concerns. I would rather worry about the situation where my life would depend on the weapon's performance.
    Walt

Posts liked by others
    Today I ordered from Kimber and asked first if the firing pin was the same on my Warrior and my Gold combat and was told yes, so I ordered one with the spring now the FPS is different some have square corners and some have rounded corners, so I didn't buy that. I also ordered a extra Slide stop since the two I brought prior from EGW and Ed Brown were shorter in lenght and I could not disassemble by hand. I will
    Probably get a EGW FPB and add the .062 Radios to it.

Posts liked by others
    I found a 70 series firing pin here if anyone is interested. I've never ordered from them, but I'm going to try this one and see how it works. David

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...uctSKU=253130B

Posts liked by others
    That's a good find as they are hard to find these days. I found one at a gun shop by talking to the gun smith. I have installed it in my Custom II and it seems to work fine. If it works I'll keep my Kimber, and if I am not comfortable with the set up I will sell it and get a SA Loaded.

Posts liked by others

swartz removal

i recently purchased a TLE/RL custom II. from what i understand, removing the Swartz safety requires taking a millimeter off the pushrod and removing the firing pin block.

does anyone know if tampering with the safety in this manner is illegal in CA?

also, is the stock Kimber firing pin functional after removing the Swartz parts?

I'm new to the forum and very impressed with the level of conversation that can be found here. thanks in advance, and merry Christmas to everyone!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast