Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norinco!!!?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Norinco!!!?

Huh....I didn't know Norinco made 1911's. I know Norinco makes M14SA's and that some of the parts for those M14's are not heat treated correctly (left soft).

With that being said, have any of you Norinco 1911 owners experieced soft metal damage to your 1911's? Or, maybe it isn't an issue with their pistols?

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Soft metal in a Nork 1911? No way, their metals are some of the best you can find. I wish I could get one too.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    The M14 receiver weakness seems to be unique to that model as far as the
    brand goes (Norinco) Wern't the last version imported correctly hardened?
    Anyway, what John said. The Norinco 1911 is the basis for many a carry
    pistol because of the strength of the steel, among other things.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by surf99
    The M14 receiver weakness seems to be unique to that model as far as the
    brand goes (Norinco) Wern't the last version imported correctly hardened?
    Anyway, what John said. The Norinco 1911 is the basis for many a carry
    pistol because of the strength of the steel, among other things.

I don't know, you may be right...Since we can't import the newer versions here in the US, all we have are the older ones with HT problems.

Posts liked by others
    I did dee it in Norinco 1911 A1, but it was 13 years ago. One of our deputies brought one to qualifications. He had some FTE issues on the range, and I tensioned his extractor. He brought it back about 200 rounds later for me to look it over. There was significant battering of the barrel on either side of the chamber. I suggested that he sell it or trade it on a Colt, and he did just that. Kinda soured me on Norks, to tell you the truth.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like possibly a link alignment? Anyway, the Frame, and slide are what
    is usually reffered to as per metal strength in the Norinco. The barrels are
    as a rule, pretty true. For sure there will be exceptions.

Posts liked by others

Battered Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by SargeMO
    I did see it in Norinco 1911 A1, but it was 13 years ago. One of our deputies brought one to qualifications. He had some FTE issues on the range, and I tensioned his extractor. He brought it back about 200 rounds later for me to look it over. There was significant battering of the barrel on either side of the chamber. I suggested that he sell it or trade it on a Colt, and he did just that. Kinda soured me on Norks, to tell you the truth.
    That's apparently a fairly common problem with the Norincos. I've seen it in about 1 in 10 (updated data) that's a result of poor barrel fit rather than bad steel. Either excessive horizontal play in the slide leads to slap-seating of the lugs...or a linkdown/drop timing issue that knocks the front corners off the lugs. Correcting the problem is a matter of swaging/peening the frame rails to lower the slide in order to get more vertical lug engagement, and installing a gunsmith-fit barrel. If the rails can be lowered enough to get 90% vertical engagement in the slide, a Kart Easy-Fit barrel will work nicely.

Aside from that 10% frequency, the guns are...as I've described'em many times...as tough as a chunk of pig iron.

Posts liked by others
    Interesting stuff....

I had a Norico M14SA that had HT problems. The receiver was fine (not to mil spec, but fine). The bolt was another story, very soft. After time at the range it started to lose headspace. That's when it was time to replace with a USGI bolt.

That's why I had to ask about their 1911's.

Posts liked by others

Nork Barrel Lugs

Sarge...Those lugs look somethin' like this?

Posts liked by others
    Hi Johnny,

At 200 rounds, his lugs were showing some peening, but not nearly that bad. The obvious battering was at the chamber mouth, on both sides. I may not have stated that as clearly as I should have, the first time. I figured it was a result of poor barrel fitting, but the barrel seemed dead soft too. It needed rebarreled if he was going to keep it. He didn't want to spend a lot of money on it, and I (his lazy FTO) didn't want to spend a lot of time working on it. I was wearing a LOT of hats at the S/O in those days, and barely had time to clean my own '45 Ithaca.

Take care & thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast