Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why you SHOULD NOT use a dremel when polishing your ramp

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I made this last post before I saw the other update on the other thread. I see now that its an alloy frame........no go, gotta go with the ramp insert now.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    I actually gasped in horror when I saw the pictures. I don't do that much. Gonna go cry for awhile.

Posts liked by others
    I did not realize it was an alloy frame when I posted about rewelding and recutting the frame. My best guess would be to have a ramped barrel installed. Wichaka pardon my ignorance but how would one go about installing a ramp insert? I have seen them in a few gunsmithing books but I have no first hand experience with them. Not that I would try to install one myself but I am curious.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Let's leave this thread alone, it's here to prevent others from doing the same thing. There is another thread, by the same member where this issue is discussed.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=12077

I'll close this thread now.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Ramps

George...A big thank you for that post!

The main problem is that every time somebody comes onto a forum with a feeding or go to/return to battery issue, the first advice is usually: "Polish the ramp and throat!" and off goes our boy to buy or borrow a Dremel and has at it. Often, he gets away with it and the gun behaves...or at least doesn't misbehave as often...and he thinks he's on to something. "Okay!
    That helped! I just gotta do it a little more and it'll be fixed!" So, he grabs the Dremel and goes at it hard...and when he's through, he sometimes finds that the gun won't even run reliably with hardball any more. At best, it doesn't do any worse.

Feed and return to battery issues are rarely corrected by polishing alone, and are often made worse. 99.9% of the time, the problem is due to something else entirely...and once that material is removed...it's impossible to put it back
    without major surgery and a handful of hard-earned green.

I don't have the national rep and credentials to make the argument against the practice, and most of the time when I do warn against it, I get at least one response stating: "Well...I dremeled the soup outta MY gun, and it runs just fine." Well...Okay...You got lucky.

I don't have the credentials, but George does. I'll go on record here and say that I rarely touch a feed ramp, and do only minimal work to a barrel ramp...and it AIN'T with a Dremel. So...if you have a feed/return to battery problem, and some hack has advised you to make it shine like a mirror...take the Dremel out in the street and hit it with a big hammer a few times to remove the temptation...come back to the bench, and start going over the gun to figure out what the problem is.

When a hammer is your only tool, all your problems will start to look like nails.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12