Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Why is it bad to drop the slide without a loaded magazine?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Glad you posted that, I've never been able to catch the round, so I just quit trying. I don't eject it like that anymore, anyway.

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Gee, all this free university going on here.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by vinconco
    I saw the exact thing happen to USPSA champion Todd Jarett back in the late 90's. He required surgery too. After Todd's accident the hot lick thing to do was to rack the slide with enough force to flip the round into the air and catch it. This exposes your face to the fragments if the round goes off. I now pick up the dirty round off the ground.... happily.
    Amen. The command to "Unload and show clear" is just that; unload the gun and show the empty chamber to the RO. The easiest way to do that is: drop the mag (you can put that in your pocket), pull the slide to its rearmost position and show an empty chamber to the RO, and then ease the slide back into battery and pull the trigger on an empty chamber in accordance with the ROs commands of "Drop the slide, drop the hammer, reholster." Now is the time to pick up your live round. Any fiddling with airborne rounds to be caught distracts your attention from the job at hand: Clear and safe the pistol!

Posts liked by others
    At a USPSA match last month the RO caught my round when I cleared it. Sure didn't make me feel very good about shooting with him...
    Chad D. Cassetty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Level I Range Officer / USPSA
    Soon to be MD for Steel Challenge @ Rockcastle Shooting Center
    http://www.rockcastlesteel.org

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678