Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it bad to drop the slide without a loaded magazine?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant
    When you are retired,as you and I are,who cares what day it is.
    Yeah...but it gets to be a pain when ya can't remember what MONTH it is sometimes...

Tuner------->like Mick Dundee. Doesn't know...doesn't care. Lucky B#####d.

Posts liked by others
    In IDPA, after you finish your stage, you are required to drop the slide with the magazine removed and dry fire your weapon.

How do comply with IDPA without damaging your 1911?

Posts liked by others

Slide dropping

Frankly, I would simply grasp the slide on the grasping grooves with my support side hand , release the slide stop and ease the slide forward...!! If there are problems with the IDPA folks, I would ask them if they were willing to bear the cost of a new slide for my piece...!!
    "When in doubt, empty the magazine"..!!

Posts liked by others

Retired....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant
    When you are retired,as you and I are,who cares what day it is.
    When asked how I like retirement, I tell them every night is a Friday night and every day is a Saturday...Pappy
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others

re:

Quote Originally Posted by RJ24
    In IDPA, after you finish your stage, you are required to drop the slide with the magazine removed and dry fire your weapon.

How do comply with IDPA without damaging your 1911?
    Weak hand over the top, pinch the sides of the slide near the mid-point with medium/light pressure from thumb and index finger. Release slide. Takes a bit of practice to do it in sneaky fashion so that it appears that you were feeling in the chamber for a round and blend the removal of the index finger to grasp the slide. A sleight-of-hand technique that'll comply with the rules and slow the slide as it goes to battery.

As with any magician's trick, timing is everything.

PS It ain't the slide that takes the hit. It's the lower barrel lug and slidestop crosspin.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
    Weak hand over the top, pinch the sides of the slide near the mid-point with medium/light pressure from thumb and index finger. Release slide. Takes a bit of practice to do it in sneaky fashion so that it appears that you were feeling in the chamber for a round and blend the removal of the index finger to grasp the slide. A sleight-of-hand technique that'll comply with the rules and slow the slide as it goes to battery.

As with any magician's trick, timing is everything.

PS It ain't the slide that takes the hit. It's the lower barrel lug and slidestop crosspin.
    I haven't shot IDPA but the drill seems to be identical to the IPSC clearing procedure. When the shooter finishes a stage, he (or she) is asked if he is finished then given the command to unload, show clear, drop the slide, and drop the hammer. In this case the term "drop" is more a figure of speach than a range command. I never use the slide stop in this drill. After dropping the mag, I grasp the slide, front or rear depending on the pistol, rack it to the rear to eject the chambered round, and hold it open to show the RO an empty chamber, and then ease it into battery. This should keep the IDPA people happy; their founding fathers came straight out of IPSC.

Posts liked by others
    Jhonny
    I do agree with all you have said here,my question is how does all these slowing items compare the slide speed between the 45acp with 16# recoil spring to the hot rodded 38 super with 22/24# spring. would the slide with the heavy spring dropped on a loaded mag be similar to the slide with a std spring being dropped on an empty chamber?

QUOTE=1911Tuner]Ultimately, the slidestop and lower lug bring it to a dead stop. The entire feeding cycle acts to bleed the slide's momentum with every separate function. By the numbers:

1. The slide strips the round from the magazine. Resistance is provided by the actual mass of the cartridge and friction from the magazine spring
    and feed lips.

2. The round strikes the feed ramp and deflects upward. Resistance is provided again by the cartridge mass and friction.

3. The rim is cammed upward and under the extractor. Friction at the breechface, barrel ramp, and more spring resistance of the extractor as it opens.

4. The bullet ogive contacts the upper chamber...still under full control via friction...and begins to break over to horizontal. Friction is obtained at three points. Breechface, top corner of the barrel ramp, and by the bullet ogive. Cartridge inertial mass is still a player, but less so than at the outset.

5. Cartridge finishes breaking to horizontal, and finishes the chambering process. Friction against the chamber walls and inertial mass are still in effect.

(Other factors include slide to frame rail friction. Disconnector friction against the center rail, as well as the next round's(in the magazine) friction against the center rail...and the barrel's final approach to full battery...with whatever sort of final lockup is available...tight or not-so-tight.)

6. Wham! The lower barrel lug feet hit the slidestop crosspin and the gun is
    (hopefully) in full battery.

Now, go back and remove the ammunition from the equation, and you can see how much resistance is lost.

Clear as mud? [/QUOTE]
    When you believe........stumbling blocks become stepping stones..

Posts liked by others

K.i.s.s

The 1911 was designed for the troops not a bunch of lacy panty waists, "Keep It Simple Stupid", a 1911 is designed to take punishment.

Dry fire it and if it breaks use it for a fishing weight.

Go to the safety of use. If you have the slide locked back, the safe way to load a round is to have it strip it off of a magazine.
    The slide will be slowed thus avoiding a "slam fire". Without the reduction of speed of the slide, the motion to will allow the firing pin to strike the primer giving a good chance a slamfire

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddog1943
    The 1911 was designed for the troops not a bunch of lacy panty waists, "Keep It Simple Stupid", a 1911 is designed to take punishment.

Dry fire it and if it breaks use it for a fishing weight.

Go to the safety of use. If you have the slide locked back, the safe way to load a round is to have it strip it off of a magazine.
    The slide will be slowed thus avoiding a "slam fire". Without the reduction of speed of the slide, the motion to will allow the firing pin to strike the primer giving a good chance a slamfire
    The fact that the 1911 was made robust for military use is no excuse to abuse it. Dry firing is not abuse, I have done it thousands of times with no ill effects. The 1911 is not a candidate for a slam fire as long as the firing pin spring is in good condition. I have single loaded the pistol by putting a round in the chamber and dropping the slide on many occasions with no safety problems. The real problem with this mode of loading is damage to the extractor, which is forced to snap over the rim of the chambered round. Once this was explained to me by a more experienced shooter, I gave up on this practice. These guns are tough, but they will last a lot longer if we baby them.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for your sensible post Gammon!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast