Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site


John needs your help
Please read this message.


Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Charles Daly 45acp safety selector problem

  1. #1
    Join Date
    1st July 2023
    Posts
    5
    Posts liked by others
    0

    Charles Daly 45acp safety selector problem

    Brand new Field grade. Have not disassembled. Just getting used to it. First thing I object to is safety selector. Chamber empty, magazine (empty) installed n hammer cocked. Using my right thumb I attempt to set safety ON. Selector moves upward 80% of its total travel. The remaining 20% takes an more thumb strength than I have to complete the SafetyOn position. Being NEW is there a break in??? Would not think so!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2nd June 2004
    Location
    Terra
    Posts
    22,287
    Posts liked by others
    906
    There can be some break-in for the thumb safety. Its operation involves two metal parts rubbing against each other. That said, it shouldn't be so difficult that you can't do it one-handed.

    If you know how to remove the thumb safety, I would suggest putting a bit of light grease (not oil) on it, reassemble, and operate the safety a lot (like a few hundred cycles).
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

  3. #3
    Join Date
    1st July 2023
    Posts
    5
    Posts liked by others
    0
    Must do a complete disassembly anyway, so this will be on my to do list. BUT...this is a detail CD should have taken into account before giving it a passing grade. My RIA Compact 45acp worked like a dream right out of the box.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2nd June 2004
    Location
    Terra
    Posts
    22,287
    Posts liked by others
    906
    Charles Daly has been out of business for well over ten years. I believe their 1911s were made by Armscor, in the Philippines. In any mass-produced product, some will be fitted and finished better than others. I have encountered 1911s with stiff thumb safeties, and I have encountered others with safeties that were so loosey-goosey that I didn't consider them safe.

    The real mystery is how you found a new Charles Daly in 2023.

    Aha -- mystery solved. The Charles Daly brand has been bought by Chiappa, and they now offer three models of 1911 made in Italy. The fact that they are made by Chiappa explains everything. I have handled and shot Chiappa's .22-caliber 1911(-ish) pistol. I've seen pot metal, blank-firing guns that were better quality.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd July 2023 at 13:52.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    1st July 2023
    Posts
    5
    Posts liked by others
    0
    Read my more recent post re stiff slide. There might be some common ground between both posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, please use their banners above. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Non-gun-related supporters.
Thank you for visiting our supporters.