Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Opinions on Colt M1911A1 Slide Locking Lugs

Posts liked by others

Opinions on Colt M1911A1 Slide Locking Lugs

Hi. New to the forum but I was hoping to hear some opinions on the condition of the lug recesses in the slide on the latest 1911 I acquired. This is a CMP service grade from the latest round of sales. The frame is a 1940 production colt serial 717xxx and the slide is a post Ď43 as it has no serial number under the FP retainer. The pistol is quite nice in appearance for refurbed surplus and I bought it with plans to shoot it and save my correct Ď45 Remington Rand and Ithaca for collection.

After I picked it up I tore it down to go through it and I have some serious concerns about the wear in the lug recesses in the slide. I know only the barrel bushing and slide lock areas were hardened on war time guns. But what Iím seeing is serious peening and rolling of material on the faces of all 3 lug surfaces. The barrel lugs seem to be fine. Btw the barrel is a 1989 replacement.

So Iím wondering if this was caused by an incorrectly fitted replacement barrel? Link too short? I assume that the CMP goes through these with an armorer competent in 1911s? If this is in fact cause for concern I plan to contract the CMP to see what the options are. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Iím no 1911 smith but I donít like what Iím seeing.

Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/KQ57ZHk

Posts liked by others
    I can't see much from the photos. The angle of the lighting distorts the recesses.

The barrel is a service replacement barrel, so it's impossible to know whether or not the original barrel's locking lugs were worn. When you cycle the action, do you feel any interference or "clashing" as the barrel rises up into lockup?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum. You should contact the CMP if you are not satisfied with the slide.

Posts liked by others
    Here are some additional photos in daylight. https://imgur.com/a/w3FIqDf

The problem is I don’t know if I have a problem. I’m not new to 1911s but I’m far from a 1911-smith. I just see something that doesn’t look right to me. I realize it’s hard to offer a sound opinion based on a few pictures on a forum but I don’t know if I should be concerned or not.

The more I look at it the more it looks like the unfinished surfaces on the faces of the slide lugs were cut as opposed to worn in that way. Regardless there are signs of peening as you can feel it with your nail. It seems to lock up solidly and the rear of the slide is actually a bit proud of the frame when closed on an empty chamber.

All I was hoping for was some guidance on whether this seems normal or if I should contact the CMP. If I knew of a competent 1911-smith in the SC area I’d take it to them for evaluation. I just don’t want to do the pistol any further harm by shooting it if something isn’t right.

Posts liked by others
    I still believe you should contact the CMP. I don't know CMP return policies, hopefully, they'll just send you a replacement slide.

The current barrel might not further damage this slide but the CMP should not have let this slide go out with a Service grade pistol.
    Likes (1) :
    Dnewsom89 (31st October 2022)

Posts liked by others
    The CMP returned my service grade yesterday. They replaced the damaged colt slide with another colt war time slide (post 43, no serial under FP retainer just like the first one) and replaced the barrel with a chrome lined NOS barrel, new barrel busing, recoil spring and guide. The note says it was fired 28 times with no malfunctions. And they sent an extra magazine with it to boot. I have to say this 1911 is now the tightest, most well fitting 1911 I own. More so than the kimber I have.

Hands down the CMPs customer service is amazing. I am more than thrilled with my purchase and can’t wait to put many rounds through it.

http://imgur.com/a/QHdKnvf

Posts liked by others
    Glad the CMP repaired it for you.