Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Vihtavuori N3SL powder load data

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Vihtavuori N3SL powder load data

I acquired (at a price I couldn't pass up) most of a container of Vihtavuori N3SL powder.
    No recent load data guides even mention it.
    Reportedly a shotgun powder with a slightly faster burn rate than N320.
    The container says N3SL load data can be found in the Vihtavuori 1995 edition.
    Available online for $14; I don't see the point in buying it for a single data set.
    I contacted Vihtavuori directly and spoke to one of their load data techs. He told me there is no information on that powder in their current database.
    Does anyone here have access to that 1995 volume and, if so, any chance I can get that specific powder/load data?
    Is it suitable for 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, or .45 ACP loads?

Posts liked by others
    I looked online at the powder you mention, I saw one sight that had a pound of it for sale. Their sight said it was 'slightly faster burning than N320'. In one of my reloading manuals, they describe N320 as 'Suitable for shotshells (about like Red Dot) and midrange handgun loads, N320 works well in the .38 to .45 caliber class'. So it sounds like N3SL is similar to N320. Hornady has a few .45 ACP loads using N320. However, in light of the fact that powder is becoming more available, and there does not appear to be any current data for N3SL, my opinion is pass on it and go with more current powders and load data. I don't know if this is any help to you, but I just wanted to pass it on.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the reply.
    I agree: without specific data, and with so many other choices of propellants, it's hard to justify taking chances on an unknown. Absent the specific references from the aforementioned 1995 manual, I've pretty much relegated it to Independence Day flash powder.

Posts liked by others
    When powder is hard to find in my area, I have found that I can usually find something at the website Powder Valley. Their prices are reasonable given todays inflated market.

Posts liked by others