Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Crusty Colt .22 Conversion Kit Issue

Posts liked by others

Crusty Colt .22 Conversion Kit Issue

Good friend of mine acquired the pictured Colt .22 conversion kit upon the passing of his father some years ago (among other arms, etc.). His father, always looking for "a deal", acquired the kit at a yard sale. Seller stated that he had cleaned and then seeming lost this kit in his garage...only to rediscover it behind his washing machine about 15+ years later (and the condition says it all). However, the barrel and floating chambers remained untouched. Surprisingly, the kit still functions most of the time. However, it stopped working when the floating chamber froze up. My friend visited last week and left the thing with me (and the oddball .22 sleeved barrel, too.). I sold him a minty, complete kit in the "wider" small cardboard box I found at the swapmeet to his delight. Now I have the leftovers to off for him. In any event, when I was able to remove the floating chamber, I discovered (with use of a ice pick), the stuck FC was due to severe lead build up. This was both in the neck of the barrel chamber in front of the end of the floating chamber and a ring of lead in the barrel chamber itself. My question is where or what might cause this lead to be shaved off and impacted in the barrel chamber at all? I realize the kit pictured is hardly worth the effort to mention, but wanted to know for myself and provide that to any prospective buyer for this crusty relic of a conversion kit. Lastly, I asked if my friend had ever tried out that .22 sleeved barrel in his GI M1911A1, and he said "no". I do not think I want to try it in any of mine, either...!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (21st September 2022)

Last edited by pwcosol; 16th September 2022 at 12:02.

Posts liked by others
    I think the floating chamber and barrel are allergic to bare lead bullets even when in good condition. I got mine to the point of key holing with Thunderbolts. So now I shoot only plated HV, preferably CCI MiniMags. Remington Golden Bullets tried today were not so hot.

The odd barrel with the off center .22 liner is probably meant for use as a single shot in the .45 slide.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for your reply. CCI is what I have used in my conversions, too. My friend, in a previous visit, gave me a small lot of ammo to sell and there was several pounds of loose, mixed .22 of every type, age and manufacture. I told him why not keep the .22 and bet this is what he was running (or rather limping) thru this conversion unit. I will inform him to buy CCI or Rem Golden only for his new conversion unit. Regarding the .22 lined .45 barrel, my friend's father was a machinist by trade, so would not be surprised if this barrel was something of his own invention. Would imagine, because it uses a existing .45 barrel, the .22 cartridge would not have enough energy to overcome the locked breech when fired...

Posts liked by others
    This old thread has photos of a R.F. Sedgley conversion barrel. All I've observed have serial numbers, counterbored chambers and the R.F. Sedgley rollmark on the top of the barrel.

This possibly an attempt at duplicating one.

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...version-barrel