Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Remington Rand 1911A1 purchased in 1977

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Remington Rand 1911A1 purchased in 1977

Hello All,

I am a new member. have a question. My VERY first of many US Military firearm purchase was my 1945 built Remington Rand 1911A1.
    I bought it in 1977 from a gun show. I did all the research I could, But I did not know all that is known today. Of course the seller said is was an original US GI 1911.
    he had several. I kew about a few things like serial range for the year made and finish and barrel type that should be in it.

The Clawson book came out in 1998. I of course bought that, From it I discovered that my RR is apparently all original. It looks it. compared to others that are known to be.

However, Since then I have learned of the change to the Blanchard machining marks on the RR slides. My pistol is serial 21358xx January 1945, So, it seems it should have these machining marks in the slide.
    it is a type 3 marked slide. But it has the straight earlier type machining marks. Is it possible the slide I have may have sat in a bin for a while?

Or somehow, the very likely possibility is that someone changed it at
    some point between new and in my hands?

It came with a correct HS barrel, A Risdon magazine, and all parts are correct in finish, and version for an early 1945 RR..

I will keep the gun, but I'm not sure my son should be told it is original as made in 1945.

Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum.

Generally believed Blanchard ground slides started around 2million; late 1944 and 1945 Remington Rand pistols are expected to have the Blanchard marks.

Rightly or wrongly, collectors usually assume pistols with significantly earlier parts likely put together.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you, I suspected this was the case. As I learn more over time, I find some elements in my collections are more or less than I thought.,
    This is a nice 1911, and when my son inherits, he will still have a very nice piece, even if not original as built.
    Appreciate the sharing of expertise.