Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Remington Rand Slide

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Remington Rand Slide

I have a 1944 1911 A1. It has a RR frame with a Colt slide. I would like to match them up. I am looking for the correct slide for the RR frame and the correct frame for the Colt slide. Any ideas on where I can those?

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum.

Slides readily available on Gunbroker, eBay, etc. but frames a different story. I see very, very few loose frames for sale/auction from any maker.

You will likely find a parts pistol with Remington Rand slide and Colt frame before you find a loose Colt frame. You could buy that and swap parts.

Posts liked by others
    So I found the info so I know what I am looking for a correct slide to match the RR frame. How do I know what Colt frame would match my slide. The slide does not have any serial numbers but it does have the 1913 date so it said those slides were used from 1914 to 1945 but that seems wrong. Did Colt use the same slide all that time.

Posts liked by others
    Colt stopped serializing slides around 1138000.

Slide marking changed slightly several times due to roll stamp replacement as they wore out.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mmartin8888 View Post
    So I found the info so I know what I am looking for a correct slide to match the RR frame. How do I know what Colt frame would match my slide. The slide does not have any serial numbers but it does have the 1913 date so it said those slides were used from 1914 to 1945 but that seems wrong. Did Colt use the same slide all that time.
    The 1913 date is a patent date -- it has nothing to do with production date.

The position of the rampant Colt icon on the slide changed from time to time, as well as other rollmarks. Spend some time looking at photos of USGI pistols in our Collectors Corner area and you can get an approximation of what you're looking for to be "correct" for your slide and frame.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I know that swapping parts to produce a "correct" gun is common among Garand fans, but it has only recently penetrated the 1911 market, largely because the last release of CMP guns with a lot of mixed maker but authentic service pistols has gotten a new generation fired up.

If you show pictures of exactly what you have, we will tell you what you need to fake up a real Colt and/or Remington.
    Note: It isn't just the slide and frame, any external part can probably be identified as to source.
    Note 2: A serious collector will look at "wear marks" and opine whether or not parts have been together and used for any length of time.

Posts liked by others
    Jim, I don't think the idea of making 1911s "correct" is a recent development, but I suppose it depends on your definition of "recent." This forum has been around since 2004 (so that's 18 years), and it seems to me there have always been people seeking to match up parts to make their M1911 or M1911A1 "correct." I don't think there's anything wrong with that -- if I came into possession of a mixmaster I would probably want to make it "correct" -- or make the one mixmaster into two "correct" examples.

The only sin, IMHO, is when someone buys a bunch of parts to make a "correct" pistol and then tries to sell it as all-original.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    All I can say is that I knew it was routine for Garands in the 20th because I know a wheeler dealer who did so as soon as CMP would let him and his family members buy multiple rifles.

When it comes time to sell, what will somebody say of a 1911, "correct", "corrected", or just "Colt?"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    When it comes time to sell, what will somebody say of a 1911, "correct", "corrected", or just "Colt?"
    That's the crucial question. Since most people won't have access to a 1911 expert to verify, much will depend on the veracity and ethics of the seller.
    Hawkmoon