Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: H.r. 1808

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

H.r. 1808

Anybody here have an analysis about what this bill is all about, chances of being enacted? The thing that confuses me, is it just listed AK's and AR's etc that are being banned or are other firearms such as M1A's included in this ban? And am I correct that soon to be banned firearms are grandfathered provided that they are owned prior to the bill becoming law? I never was into the AR's or AK scene, however, its certain that they have no intention stopping here and being satisfied with just this bill.

Posts liked by others
    It wasn't expected to pass in the House, but it did because a few Republicans voted for it. It's now up to the Senate. It would probably pass on a simple majority vote, but if the Republicans filibuster it's a question mark as to whether there would be 60 votes to overcome the filibuster.

The bill was cobbled together, despite having been on the shelf for a long time while waiting for the right crisis to use as an excuse for dredging it up. In the same bill they grandfather the Ruger Mini-14, ban the Mini-14 action, and then except the Mini-14 action from the ban. It's a mess, and I'm pretty certain even the people who wrote it don't know what it says.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, I agree completely with what you posted...I would add though, that too often these elected representatives show a propensity to act purely on emotion without any benefit of wisdom and reason. In any event, do either yourself or anybody else here have any opinions on my questions in my first post? By the way, I just realized I should have originally posted this topic under Law and Civil Rights...my mistake.

Posts liked by others
    In general, it bans the following:

“(40) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:

“(A) A semiautomatic rifle that—

“(i) has the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition feeding device; and

“(ii) has any 1 of the following:

“(I) A pistol grip.

“(II) A forward grip.

“(III) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of the weapon.

“(IV) A grenade launcher.

“(V) A barrel shroud.

“(VI) A threaded barrel.

“(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 15 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
    They don't list M1 Garands or M1As, and the general description doesn't encompass M1s or M1As, so this ban doesn't appear to cover those rifles. If they get this one through, I fully anticipate that they'll come after those next.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    In the bill under rifles not affected, it list the M1 Garand as being exempt. I do not recall seeing the M1A in the rifles exempted, nor did I see it listed in the prohibited list...I guess the definitions that you posted is the 'catch all" net to get whatever they missed.