Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Second Amendment book revised and updated

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Second Amendment book revised and updated

We would like to announce a major update to a book by our e-zine contributing editor, Harwood Loomis. The recent U.S. Supreme Court decision in the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association case, closely followed by the federal Bipartisan Safer Communities Act of 2022 (S. 2938) significantly changed the legal landscape regarding carry permits in several states in the U.S., and established for the first time that the right to keep and bear arms exists outside the home as well as within the home.

In order to make these new documents available along with all the preceding ones, Mr. Loomis has revised and expanded his book, The Right To Keep And Bear Arms: A Collection Of Historical Documents Relating To The Second Amendment. Due to the size of the new documents, the new, revised edition has now been split into two volumes. Volume 1 covers documents from the Magna Carta through the end of the twentieth century, while Volume 2 covers the twenty-first century.

The change to two volumes also allowed the editor to restore the appendix to the 1982 Congressional report on the second amendment, as well as the dissents in the Heller and McDonald decisions, which were omitted from the first edition to save space and reduce the page count. Members who previously purchased the first edition only need to buy Volume 2 to obtain all the new documents.

Both volumes are available in paperback from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6CWL3BN...rwt_sb_pc_tpbk

Harwood put a tremendous amount of work into compiling these books. If you have ever been in a discussion about the right to keep and bear arms and wished you had a place to look up what an historical document actually said, these books are for you. For example, Amazon is selling used copies of the 1982 Congressional report for $18. Together, the documents collected by Mr. Loomis encompass essentially the entire history of the right to keep and bear arms, all in a single (now 2-volume) package. We are not aware of any other single source for all of the documents included in these two books.
    For the M1911.ORG Team,
    The Rule Keeper
    Likes (1) :
    Poohgyrr (19th September 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like a great read!

Posts liked by others
    I need to get back here more often. I just saw this last night and immediately ordered volume 2 to keep my collection up to date. Congratulations! I'm still not done with the 1st edition. I was afraid to ask for an update to address all of this year's new developments after imagining how much work went into the original, but I'm glad someone else wasn't.

Besides trying to read through it end to end (probably not recommended), I did end up referring back to it when I wanted to find the citation mentioning the (extremely) longstanding prohibition against bearing arms before a magistrate.

And when I started reading the Bruen decision, it sounded a lot like SCOTUS has an office copy of this book floating around somewhere.